MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/05/2009 06:51 PM

what is up with this memory loss???

partygirl

I feel like I have alzheimers or something. I can't remember things I've done, things I've said, people I've met. And it's embarassing repeating myself, not remembering people, and it's scarey when someone tells me I said something and I don't remember telling them anything. Today I told my husband we needed blueberries from the grocery store. I kid you not, 3 seconds later I forgot what I asked him to get, and then had to ask him what I asked for. What is up with the short and long term memory loss?

07/05/2009 07:00 PM
red1965
red1965  
VIP Member

Partygirl, memory loss can be a biproduct of some medications. Talk to your pdoc about this. I am sure there will be others come along that will give you more information on which meds have the tendancy.

07/05/2009 07:07 PM
partygirl

I'm only on Wellbutrin, Valium and Trazodone. And I just started Wellbutrin. This problem has been going on for a long time.

07/05/2009 08:12 PM
red1965
red1965  
VIP Member

Talk to the Pdoc, I know there are things they can do to help.

07/05/2009 09:11 PM
forever
forever  

My p-doc doesn't really want to discuss memory loss but I have lost many memories since my last episode. I've often wondered if it was the medication that causes it or the depressive episode that zapped my memory.

I have taken Lamictal 200 mg, Lexapro 10 mg and Xanax 0.25 for the last three years, so if it is the medication, one of those is the culprit. If I had to guess, it would be the Lamictal but as mood stabilizers go, it is still the one with the least amount of side effects.

Just from reading the forums this is a common complaint, so you are not alone. Perhaps someone else can tell you if they have switched medication and have had improvement in there memory.

Post edited by: forever, at: 07/05/2009 09:12 PM

07/05/2009 09:33 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

I HATE that! And not only do I have a horrible memory, I also have brain fog so I have also become...stupid. My coworkers make fun of my horrible memory and it's embarrassing since I work in a client service position. Forgetting what the client just said (like their name) or how much to put on the credit card machine etc. makes me look pretty bad too. My pdoc said to take provigil and always write things down. But I don't think I could ever make it through school like this. Hate it.

07/06/2009 05:30 AM
partygirl

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with medication. I think it's something else. Maybe it's the racing thoughts that cause me to become so distracted that I don't remember things in the moment? Do you think?

07/06/2009 09:29 AM
red1965
red1965  
VIP Member

Once again, talk to the doc to see if there is something that can be given to help with the ability to focus and remember. My wife hs been there, med adjustments and/or additions helped. She still has her moments but better overall.

07/06/2009 09:58 AM
Lorij523

I've also experienced memory loss during episodes. It drives me crazy having to ask other people what I said or did. My memory loss got more severe after ECT treatments in 2005. Definitely ask your pdoc about it.

07/06/2009 11:57 AM
mechjockusa
mechjockusa  

memory loss is mostly due to drugs, see my list below. I would assume that the brain does not like these drugs and fights them through memory loss. whats worse to me is the shakes that are as common as memory loss.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved