MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/13/2009 05:27 PM

Running from depression

partygirl

Had a rough day. Morning was okay. My 2 year old was really out of control and husband was very upset with him. This may have triggered me to become tearful. I got very depressed and had to call 211. Currently feel okay. Not sure what the heck happened. Very irritable. Very tearful. Came to a point where I just wanted to sleep and I finally fought as hard as I could to get myself up. I said to myself (to the depression) you are not going to get me, get the #### OFF THE COUCH. And I got up and hurried as quickly as I could to get out the door and out to dinner with the family. Along the way I scrubbed the floor, washed down the tables, swept and even weeded the walkway on the way into the car. I was NOT going to let this depression catch me. I RAN. My husband must have thought I was a freak or losing it. But I was actually fighting, and I'm still fighting right now. I feel an urge to go out and have fun tonight just so that I don't get depressed. I want to run from it. I want to run FAST and FAR. I still feel it lurking and I hate it. GO AWAY. YOU CAN'T CATCH ME!

Post edited by: partygirl, at: 06/13/2009 05:28 PM

06/13/2009 06:47 PM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

Thats a good coping skill. I should try it. I just let it catch me and take over. You sound like a really strong person and that will get you through it. I hate it when I'm fine one minute and suddenly something triggers my depression. I hope you feel better and keep fighting it's only temporary.

06/13/2009 10:35 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

I just go shopping and then have even more to be depressed about....

06/14/2009 10:29 AM
partygirl

I'm going back on my antidepressants until they figure this out. This is just ridiculous. I'm getting too low.

06/14/2009 11:40 AM
Lorij523

I understand the feeling, partygirl. Hang in there and do whatever you need to get through this. Last week I was in such a dark place I really thought I wouldn't live through it but I did make it. You will too!

06/14/2009 01:40 PM
BigJ

So, this 'running away from depression' can this charectarized as a mania or hypomania after a bout of depression?

I don't have alot of depression anymore, unless I think about something devastating like the loss of a loved one or simmilar. I have these thoughts mostly under control. I find something cool or funny to think about when my thoughts race. I do my best to control my emotions and I accept the reality that I may have built an "unhealthy emotional wall", but I go with it. And in today's life I have more manic stages of increased energy and less depression.

I used to feel myself going crazy inbetween jobs. I can't stay at home all day everyday without feeling like a caged animal. I've figured out that I feel healthier when I exert myself through physical labor. My current hobbies include taking my 17 month old daughter outdoors for activities. We goto numerous different childrens parks and state parks together where I help her play on swings and slides and the such and at state parks she buckles into her stroller and we go for a stroll.

My mother-in-law has some mental issues, not sure what she has been diagnosed with but I know when she gets frustrated and irritible she will go through bouts of cleaning and running around starting and/or working on projects around the house as a seemingly remedy.

I do run around and do alot of things at once, just not house work. Typical guy. lol. I do alot of stuff on my computer and with music when in doors and when out doors I enjoy being in the woods or on a trail walking and getting fresh air. I might not be a good runner/jogger but I can walk for miles.

Anyway, kinda forget what I was trying to say the entire way through this, hope it atleast offers for some good conversation.

06/14/2009 03:58 PM
partygirl

That's a good question BigJ.

06/14/2009 04:39 PM
mechjockusa
mechjockusa  

Partygirl hang in there, when I get depressed I am totally incapable of doing anything. I just sit there even when at work. I just deal with it once I had several residents come down and chat with me. That seemed to bring me out of mu slump.

06/14/2009 06:01 PM
BigJ

Mechjockusa. I have been there before. I feel I have conquered over it for now. I will admit I used to be at work and if my wife (g/f at the time) didn't respond to me I would have racing thoughts about her cheating on me or being in some kind of trouble needing my assistance while unable to reach the phone. I fount this to be very devastating and checking my phone every 2 minutes would remind me of the time and cause work to feel prolonged. But eventually we would regain contact and everything would be fine. I have learned how to trust my partner and tune out undesired thoughts.

When I get depressed. I can't let it get ahold of me. I play a video game or listen to music or something on the computer such as video games and music, lol. One thing I rarely do is talk about my feelings. Talking to shrinks has set me off into a severe depressive state. My parents tried getting me to a shrink twice and each time they brought me home and essentially put me to bed no matter what time of the day it was. I do not like shrinks, the reason I write "shrinks" is because I probably can't spell psychaitrist right and I'm to lazy to dictionary.com it for the right spelling when shrink is easier to write.

Anyway, escaping the depressive episodes is tough. If you're like me and have racing thoughts that cause you to become depressed and remain depressed then my only advice is finding a way to avoid depressing thoughts. Some people say talking about your issues helps, but I feel that I've conquered most of my issues and demons and have my own ways of coping without feeling the need to directly talk about my issues.

I will admit that writing some of my posts has brought the occassional tear to my eye. I also wrote two different new member posts that where very long and lengthy that I later decided not to post. I'm not sure why I didn't post them but if I had to make an uneducated guess I'd probably say fear of being rejected.

Post edited by: BigJ, at: 06/14/2009 06:03 PM

06/15/2009 01:54 AM
cinnamongirl
cinnamongirl  

Good for you. For having the courage to try and DO something. It takes an enormous amount of energy and concentration to get your ass off the couch when the depression is pressing you down on you. Remember this: Everything is 'trial and error'. Take note of what works and what doesn't. Go from there.

Best of luck. (I mean that, sincerely.)

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved