MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/12/2009 10:11 AM

what is normal

Skitz0417
Skitz0417  
I'm an Advocate

you know i keep wanting to be normal, but what is normal anyway? i mean i keep getting depressed cause i feel like i dont fit any where..

but is there a real state of life that is normal ??????If so why cant i find it??

mabey this makes no sence but i am depressed and i cant stop hating my bipolar and all other mental illness's i have right now.... someone plz help me to understand this...Wassat

06/12/2009 10:15 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

(((((((hugs)))))))))

There is no normal. I prefer the word average which I am far from.

06/12/2009 10:16 AM
ApRiLGeTsAngry77

I have more flavor than the average person. Smile

06/12/2009 10:22 AM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

To me normal is being stable. It's being able to handle a crisis without shutting down, being able to do housework with energy and a joy for life thrown in for good measure. Enjoying each day and looking forward to it. Having energy but not manic energy. Not losing my temper. Paying the bills instead of spending the money impulsively. Being responsible. Being able to use techniques to handle the mood swings and not let them overpower me.

06/12/2009 11:04 AM
niecy440

Yep I agree with Taurus, normal for me would mean being stable. I have been stable on meds for the past two years and have only felt depression when I get really stressed. It is the ability to be able to come out from under the depression that is important. You are normal, it is normal to hate your bipolar and mental illness. Like they say Normal is just a setting on a dryer. Just keep on taking your meds and if you get more depressed then you may need a medicine adjustment. Its hard when you feel you don't fit in anywhere. But i'm sure you do. Do you see a tdoc for ways to cope with your feelings? It is normal to have circumstancial depression and it is normal to hate our illness. Yep being normal for me would mean being stable, no extreme mood swings. etc. You will find that alot of so called normal people also get depressed and also don't feel like they fit in. I learned this from friends who don't have a mental illness. Good luck to you and if you don't start to feel better please see your pdoc.

06/12/2009 12:38 PM
Skitz0417
Skitz0417  
I'm an Advocate

i have never got to feel the stable side then i guess i mean i can level out for about a day or 2 but i still rapid cycle then also so i dont think i can say i have really been stable since a child and i dont ever remeber how that really felt...

06/12/2009 12:41 PM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

Maybe you should talk to you pdoc and tell him/her what's going on. You may just need another mood stabilizer or a different one.

06/12/2009 12:59 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

Skitz, I don't like the word normal at all. What it means to me is not what it means to my next door neighbor or the preacher of the church down the street.

I have come to the place in my life where I just live the day as it is presented to me. Whatever that may entail.

I know that depression. I know that wanting to feel a different way. I get it all the time. A lot of my problem is that I live in physical pain. It won't go away. I wish it would. It can be managed but it won't go away completely. I have just had to accept that pain is part of my "normal". Everyone's normal is different. I guess what I'm trying to get at in all this rambling is that we have to figure out our own "normal". Mine includes pain and some depression. I work through those the best I can and I don't let the depression get out of hand.

It sounds like you need something done with your meds. I've never been a rapid cycler, it must suck. I really hope you can find something that helps you and that you can start feeling more stable and maybe more "normal".

06/12/2009 01:05 PM
Yrollam
YrollamPosts: 2476

Skitz I don't have an answer for your questions but I do understand how you feel. I constantly wonder what normal/stable is and what if feels like. I am sick to death of wondering if I'm cycling or not.

06/12/2009 01:14 PM
tinao
tinao  

hey each and everyone of us are normal. we all have our weekenesses but who doesn't you show me one person that doesn't have a weakness and I will show you a liar. therefore, we are all normal. some may be a dancer and then hurt their leg and become disabled. does that make them not normal anymore? a little child gets cancer, does that make them not normal anymore? I say no. I say we are all very normal. We have the right to feel the way we feel, we have a right to act and do as we do, even if it is in weakness. we need to try very hard to control it if it's going to damage to property, yourself, someelse, or breaking a law, but other than that learn to have fun and be just who you are. by the way I am going to come out of the closet a little more. I really think I have multiple personalities to. so if you notice a huge difference in my behaviors, beliefs, etc. that might be it. anyway, have fun all

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved