MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/11/2009 06:45 PM

swine flu...anyone else freaked out?

partygirl

It's at a level 6 now. I'm ready to pull my toddler out of daycare until this passes! Sad

06/11/2009 06:53 PM
cherokeef34
cherokeef34  

dont blame you think god my kid is out for the summer.are i would pull him out of school to.

06/11/2009 06:55 PM
partygirl

I wonder when or if the government is going to step up. Maybe they aren't going to say anything because they know that the economy is already bad and if everyone left their jobs to take care of their kids it would only get worse?

06/11/2009 10:22 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3162

No kids directly involved for me, but really I am not particticulary concerned about it at this tine. As I gather the symptoms are mild.

The time to watch out for is if the Swine Flu visus mutates and becomes much more virulent. So far it has not. I don't see any particular reason why it should do so.

Should it mutate, well I won't be travelling on trains etc.

The pandamic in 1918 1919, started with a mild case of flu, first But and the big butt is in a few weeks it mutated and starting killing people. It was in the millions. Some 19,000,000 or so world wide. I might have the number incorrect it could be more.

JennyWren

06/11/2009 10:36 PM
mariel24h
mariel24hPosts: 1136

My advice is don't watch the news. ALways somthing scarey and depressing.

06/12/2009 04:09 AM
niecy440

I am also freaked out by this flu, since they raised it to the highest level. Flu kills a half million people a year, most are elderly. But that is a lot of people that just normally die from the flu every year. There is really nothing we can do right now but wait and see how bad it gets. That's is most frustrating, but that's all we can do. I wouldn't dwell on it to much, but I understand you have a toddler to think about. I would try to go with life as usual until we are told otherwise. There are antiviral medicines they are giving to people to shorten the duration of the flu and it helps you to have milder symptoms. We can only wait and see how bad this gets, but i understand your worry and I just wanted to tell you that. It is important they keep your toddlers hands washed at daycare though.

06/12/2009 04:34 AM
debiski
debiski  
VIP Member

My son and step-son are done with school as of today. My granddaughter comes here during the day so there is no daycare involved. However, she starts school in the fall and I'm hoping by then this has settled down.

I'm not so worried about myself as I am for my kids and grandchild.

06/12/2009 05:07 AM
indice
indicePosts: 234

Don't Believe The Hype!

The serious illness / fatality level for this flu is actually way below other, standard, you-had-it-last-year strains. In fact, if you were born before 1959, you are probably immune!

Flu happens. And it takes NOT a summer, but YEARS to run its course. 1968-69, 1975-79, the late 80's/early 90's... there's been strains that had MUCH higher numbers than this little ol' flu is putting up.

OTOH, If you are still Fox-News-Paranoid(TM), then allow me to mention the natural antiviral-antiFLU substances out there:

ANTIVIRAL / ANTIFLU:

star anise (Tamiflu is actually made from this)

cilantro

licorice

sambuca / black elderberry

Sambuca is a liqueur. It is made from licorice, somewhat.

Cilantro is on your salad, thus on the produce aisle.

Star Anise is also found as a capsule / food supplement.

Elderberry capsules are at GNC, and if you take more than one, you will likely have The Absolute Most Horrendous Flatulence Ever. The type that makes the dog jump up and leave the room. I ashamedly speak from experience.

Post edited by: indice, at: 06/12/2009 05:08 AM

06/12/2009 01:27 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

If it were a problem, as the avian flu actually was, then we would be slaughtering millions of pigs and/or we would be halting all travel between endemic zones and outside areas.

The government would never say we were at less (rather than more) of a risk for a pandemic to fend off people's economic fears cause a real pandemic like the spanish flu would affect the GDP much more than a temporary loss of production...It'd be a major global economic catastrophe.

The people who are dying are immunocompromised in some way....a healthy hearty kid's immune system shouldn't have problems...

06/12/2009 02:11 PM
mechjockusa
mechjockusa  

The biggest thing to remember is to wash your hands alot mainly after contact with anyone who looks sick. Try not to get caught up in the tv hype. Eat well, this means veggies and stay away from heavy carbs. Just use caution.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved