MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/13/2009 10:40 AM

Disability for Bipolar(page 2)

dawn1b
dawn1b  

I had my 1st telphone interview on 12/06. They say I applied in 3/07. I was denied 6/07. I got a lawyer and appealed in 8/07. It was denied in 10/07. A request for hearing was filed in 11/07. Lawyer requested OTR Decision (On The Record), based on my records 9/08. SSA sent letter to my lawyer and cc myself regarding my records and possible OTR 4/09. When I contacted my lawyer group regarding this letter they claimed they never got it . I faxed and scanned/emailed my copies and they said "I couldn't open them up could you fax them" and I had already faxed them the day before. I asked for a new case worker. I got one and all the paper work had been just well who knows. I emailed her about 6 different emails of my paper trail and she claims to have only gotten one. Any way, I have my hearing on 6/22.

I did attempt suicide. I have never been hospitalized. My physco doc did recommend I apply for SSI and supports me 100%. I live in the state of Washington, but I don't know how this state tends to work.

I wish you the very best and send you good thoughts . Please send me a prayer.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

Dawn

Post edited by: dawn1b, at: 06/13/2009 12:11 PM

06/13/2009 12:10 PM
noordinaryjo

It's unfortunate that we have to be in dire straights before we can get the help we so desperatly need. I can't remember if it's one or two years you have to be on SSI before you get medicare. Medicare pays my pdoc and other medical bills.

06/13/2009 08:22 PM
scooby

noordinaryjo,

Some have it easier than others in getting disability benefits and have to face desperate times. It doesn't seem fair.

I do believe that if you receive SSI (Supplemental Security Income), you automatically receive Medicaid insurance. When you receive SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), in two years you are eligible for Medicare.

If you receive a combination of SSI and SSDI, you may qualify for both insurances.

Post edited by: scooby, at: 06/13/2009 08:23 PM

06/14/2009 06:21 AM
noordinaryjo

Hi Scooby,

That's interesting. I didn't realize that there's a difference. I am on Medicare. It's the only medical insurance I have so I really appreciate it.

06/14/2009 03:37 PM
dawn1b
dawn1b  

Any help would be huge.

06/14/2009 03:46 PM
Drucilla
Drucilla  

Dawn, there is a Social Security Disability forum here at MDJ. I found a lot of information there. Drucilla

06/14/2009 03:52 PM
dvhantiques

How do you find (get to) the SS forum?

Thanks,

Deb

06/14/2009 04:05 PM
dawn1b
dawn1b  

Thank you so much Drucilla.

Deb, go to Online Support Groups, hit S, go to Social Security.

06/14/2009 04:27 PM
dvhantiques

Thanks Drucilla!

DebSmile

06/14/2009 06:12 PM
BigJ

Sassy, this is a very good question. One that I was going to be asking soon.

The only things I know is my cousin recieves Social Security for her son who is bi-polar who is a teenager. She says it's not too difficult to get on.

I too would also like to know more about this because while I have excelled at some of my jobs I have completely bombed out of and quit others. I have issues where a coworker can sometimes say or do something that will trigger an episode of extreme anger that will leave me with angry racing thoughts that eventually I have to come down from. I've been able to come down from these episodes by eventually becomming saddened and allowing myself to cry briefly, however, resisting the urge to let out a few tears can cause the anger to become more rampant. The only quick fix I've ever fount to extreme anger is going under the influence. Also, a more desctructive alternative would be punching something. I've never punched a person (with the exception of goofing with good friends) but I have broken my middle fingers knuckle a few times. I got tired of breaking things so I started hitting things harder than my hand. I do not like breaking things and then having a constant reminder of an act of idiocy out of a rage, however, hitting things has helped to calm me down. Why is this?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved