MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/26/2009 10:37 AM

Lying

sillysarah

I'm bipolar, and i used to just live with it, not caring about anything, but there's people in my life whom i honestly love and don't want to hurt.

I can't stop lying to them, but now i can't control myself. I don't want to lie, because i don't want to lose them. They know i'm bipolar, but i don't think they nknow what that really means.

05/26/2009 11:11 AM
forever
forever  

Sillysarah,

Welcome to MD Junction. This disorder really can cause poor impulse control. I think it is problem that needs to be addressed with medication and therapy. Do you have a p-doc (psychiatrist) or a t-doc (therapist)? I have a very good friend who during hypomania would gamble, open tons of credit cards, apply for loans, her debt was 70,000 dollars in two years. So she lied and one lie lead to another then another. She stopped taking her medication so she lied about that. Does this sound familiar?

Anyway the first step is seeking help and realizing you have a problem.

05/26/2009 11:13 AM
itsmynightmare

welcome to the group sillsarah. there are alot of caring and supportive people here, welcome.

i dont know if this is what youre speaking about but alot of times i end up lying about how im doing or trying to hide my feelings because im afraid i will scare them away, and then the lies just pile up and its like a snowball getting bigger and bigger.

this is a great group, welcome hun.

Post edited by: itsmynightmare, at: 05/26/2009 12:30 PM

05/26/2009 12:19 PM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome...glad you found us.

I don't know if lying is necessarily a symptom of bipolar disorder. Bet you can change the habit. Try some cognitive therapy in conjunction with seeing your psychiatrist. It can help.

05/26/2009 12:28 PM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

Lying is the worst habit to get into because once you tell one lie it just gets bigger and bigger. It really sucks and your always afraid of getting caught because you have to remember your lies. Bipolar does create poor impulse control but lying is a habit that you can change if you work hard at it. Ask them if they have any questions ref your bipolar and than just be honest with them. You can start there.

05/26/2009 12:31 PM
Jazzmary
Jazzmary  

i used to lie alot and for no reason at all. but i lied cause i didnt think anyone would like me if they saw what i saw in myself so i made up a persona. but it gets to a point where you are like, i gotta be me and stop feeling guilty. u cant take back your lies but you can start new. i rarely lie now except little white lies like you look great in that dress lol. lying can be controlled

05/26/2009 12:54 PM
mechjockusa
mechjockusa  

Welcome to the group, Lies well they have a life of their own. With your friends that you love so dear, catch yourself. Hell half the time they hear a lie they know anyways, they love you enough and understand that is you. Next time tell your self you are not going ti lie. When you catch yourself then correct your self. The relief that you feel will make checking yourself easier. Soon no more lies, do not hate yourself just check yourself. You will get the hang of it soon enough.

05/26/2009 01:13 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

Hey sillysarah, I too have become a compulsive liar. It's so hard to stop lying even though you want to stop. I'm a coward when it comes to this, but I mean a 7-year old habit is kinda hard to break. Besides, I don't want my current friends to know what I was like when I was 18...it's embarrassing.

Hey Jazzmary, I really like how you put this. I never really thought about it as a persona, but all my lies do center on convincing people that I'm just like them...completely stable and driven.

How did you manage to start anew? Did you eventually tell your friends you'd been lying to them? Or did you just find an entirely new batch of friends altogether? I can't imagine undoing 7 years of lies....eep!

05/26/2009 02:07 PM
sillysarah

I can't really seek help,you see, where i am, people don't really go to therapists, plus, its kinda expensive, isn't it?

05/26/2009 02:10 PM
itsmynightmare

hey sillysarah...it can be expensive if you dont have health insurance, thats the problem im facing right now being in between treatment. but honestly, i think you would be surprised how many people do seek therapy and just dont really talk about it, for some reason it is still a taboo in society, try to not let that be the reason you choose not to seek treatment.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved