MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/09/2009 01:49 PM

Who's addicted to Caffeine?

mem832

I never thought how vicious a caffeine addiction could be and the effects it has on the body. I've got into the habit of not just having coffee int he moring. But, also during night classes and before I know it. I go threw some bad withdraws. Let's say I skip the coffee during class, I get nauseous, headache and irritable. Sick But, how about you guys?

05/09/2009 02:02 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I can't even tell you how much caffeine I have in the day. I have switched to half caf coffee throughout the day, about 3 or 4 cups of that. Regular in the morning, 2 or 3. Two or 3 cups of tea during the day. I guess that's it, it wasn't as hard to count as I thought. I think I'd probably go into convulsions if I had to completely quit. I know I'm not supposed to drink it but I just can't stop myself. I'm addicted and that's all there is to it.

05/09/2009 02:06 PM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am sooooo addicted. Been drinking coffee since I was 12 and that was about 40 years ago. I probably drink 6 mugs a day. If I cut back I get terrible headaches. But frankly, it's my only vice, if it is considered that, and I have absolutely no intention of cutting back no matter what a dr. says to me! Tongue

05/09/2009 02:18 PM
mem832

Smile, well unfortunately. Caffeine withdraws have contributed to extra anxiety. So, I definitely need to cut back.

05/09/2009 03:28 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I'm like you, uppity, it's my only vice. I don't drink or gamble or do drugs or anything else. So, I drink a lot of caffeine containing beverages. I don't have any intention of completely giving it up either.

05/09/2009 04:14 PM
SleeplessinNY
SleeplessinNY  

I'm a caffeine addict, too. I admit it. If not for some type of stimulant, my life would be over. LOL. I grew up with soda in the house, and I would really miss not having either coffee, soda, or chocolate. If I go a day without it, I crave it. I have managed to go 1/2 decaf in the morning, but I am on a prescribed stimulant in the AM, so too much caffeine would make me feel "sprung", not good while driving...also, a lot of times, if I feel a headache coming on or feel nauseated, I'll stop and buy a Coke. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

05/09/2009 04:15 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I love caffeine. I try to limit myself to one or two 12 oz. cans of soda because if I drink more, it makes me manic and causes severe migraines. Lately I've been drinking Sunkist orange soda which isn't good considering the fact that it has 190 calories and is high in carbohydrates. Oh well. Life is short and there are worse things I could do. Smile

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 05/09/2009 04:26 PM

05/09/2009 04:38 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I love caffine too. I also limit myself to 1/2 decaf and 1/2 regular coffee. I drink 2 in morning so that equals 1 cup. My pdoc has been after me for yrs to stop drinking caffine or at least cut back. I do get real antzy and hyper when I drink too much. When I drink pepsi, i have caffine free.

05/09/2009 05:59 PM
Volante
Volante  

I feel like I self medicate with caffeine when I am depressed. It feels like it helps and I really enjoy coffee. I don't plan on cutting back anytime soon but I have read quite a few times that BP and caffeine is not good.

05/09/2009 06:10 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Are there any good reasons that people with bipolar are not supposed to drink moderate amounts of caffeine? I drink about 20 oz a day of diet soda. Is that too much?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved