MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2009 08:11 PM

Why am I so mean?

DawnMarieL
DawnMarieL  

My boyfriend has brought it to my attention that lately I have been very mean to him and with him. I have to admit that I do see a pattern of meaness over the last three months. Our story, goes back to 20 years ago, we were married and had 2 children. We were off and on for about 4 years. This was because of both of us, I always felt smuthered and would feel like I had to run away. He was very jealous and both of these things would find us out of control. I was very dramatic, and I called the police on him, when he had pushed me. We finally ended it. We both went on, I got married twice more, and was married for 10 years to my last husband. We got in touch after 20 years, and decided to try to work things out again, so here we are. He is very patient, loving and attentive. I don't know why I am so mean to him. I talk to him like he is shit, and I treat him the same way. I know my meds are not working yet, they just started me on Abilify and Lamictal, so I know it will take a few months before those are working. I was wondering if anyone else feels like this? Is this a part of the bi-polar? I find I am more sensitive with other people, I can control myself. I can't think of any reason why I would be mad at him, he does everything for me. What can I do? Any advice will be appreciated.

04/09/2009 02:14 AM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

It could be because of bipolar. Do you resent him or anything like that?

04/09/2009 04:47 PM
SaraK
SaraK  

IF you find yourself more normal with other people, it's nothing particularly attributed to the bi-polar stuff. There are underlying resentments somewhere. If you were snappy with others, then I would pass it off as merely being manic.

04/09/2009 05:14 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I find myself less patient with my family, especially my husband, then I am with those outside my house. I think it's just the constant close proximity of all of us. I don't work so I'm always in the house and then they "invade my space" with their constant demands for my attention. And I think a grown man should know better and know to leave me alone. He seems to be worse than the kids. I do think it's at least partly bipolar symptoms. Irritability and just an inability to cope with life in general, at least that's it for me. And when you said your boyfriend does everything for you I thought of myself and I thought "resentment". I hate it when people take care of me or when I feel like I need people to take care of me or when I can't take care of myself. I don't know if any of that helps or if I was even close to what you were getting at but I hope so.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved