MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2009 06:23 AM

BiPolar IV(page 6)

neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I'm attending the second largest university in my state. We have over 30,000 students on campus, so it's pretty large, but I love that kind of environment.

I've actually been in college since 1989 due to my progressive hearing loss.

I started out majoring in journalism. From there, I switched to Mass Communications after I mistakingly believed someone who said I couldn't be a field reporter because I was totally blind.

I didn't really find Mass Comm interesting, so I changed my major yet again to Education. Since I was experiencing continued hearing loss and was having alot of difficulty hearing my students during my student teaching, I decided to change my major to medical transcription.

I transferred to a local community college and found that I *really* enjoyed medical transcription. I received a 4.0 GPA over 2.5 years of study, but my hearing continued to decline to the point where my professor noticed I was making all kinds of errors in my dictation. She warned me that if I continued with a degree in medical transcription, I could face the possibility of being sued since accurate transcription can be a matter of life and death. I obviously don't want to transcribe 50mg when a patient only needs 15mg and I certainly don't want to confuse the difference between two meds that sound the same.

After I received training in tactile sign language as well as a Braille display when using a computer at my local deafblind center, I went back to school and majored in social work where I'm currently working towards my Bachelor's. I love the fact that I'm majoring in social work since there are so many job opportunities available as well as the fact that I can work with a diversified population.

I plan to persue a Master's in psychology and an MD in psychiatry. I know it will probably take a long time before I earn my MD, but I don't care. If I'm 101 before I complete my training, so be it. I love psychiatry and it has always been a dream of mine to enter this field ever since I was diagnosed with bipolar 3 years ago.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 04/08/2009 06:28

04/08/2009 03:30 PM
paige72801
paige72801  

I've always been interested in counseling, trying to help others and listen to their problems instead of my own.

I'm getting really ansy about going to work tomorrow, I have been so relaxed for the most part not being there. Actually its been enough going on without having to deal with work and people.

I start new classes in Sept in college, I guess I am sort of in a pre-college right now, that's going to get me my associates, then I will go on.

The only two things I can ever remember being intersted in was interior decorating and pschology/counseling. I never thought I would get the change for college though.

I am 44 so I will be up there when I finish, but that is ok, I don't figure I am going anywhere, and hopefully I will have something I have always wanted when I am done.

I didn't go to see about the disability today, I was so tired. I figure I will see what happens at work anyway and see where things stand, then go next week about the disabiliity on my day off.

I can already feel myself talking myself into not going in to work, and fighting with myself.

later, hope you had a good day.

By the way I am so proud of what all you have accomplished, right now you are my inspiration.

04/08/2009 07:22 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Thanks for the compliment! Smile

My 10th grade Biology teacher told me something I will never forget. He said that the only limitations you have are those you place on yourself. He was the one who inspired me to receive a Ph.D. Ever since then, it has always been a dream of mine.

Let me know how your current job pans out. Hopefully you won't have to consider going on disability.

If you're 44 years old, you still have plenty of time to earn a certificate in counseling. You could attend a 2-year college to become a therapist and then work your way up to being an LICSW.

04/08/2009 08:35 PM
paige72801
paige72801  

Sounds like you had a great teacher. I don't have anything that has stuck in my head of someone saying, lol.

I guess I am not going to work tomorrow, I have already been crying, shaking, mad at myself and just in general angry. Part of me wants to, but the other part knows I can't handle it and that that is why I have not been there. I have missed pretty close to a month, but can't handle it anymore when I am there.

well you don't need to hear my problems.

DOes it not bother you being around that many people at the college you go to? Crowds make me nervous, that is why I love college on line, it is so cool.

I'm not real good around people anyway, and that is what is making it even harder at work. Things have just bveen taken their toll for years now, generally getting worse, it just got a lot worse (now) at the wrong time.

Guess there would never be a right time.

OOPS went back to me again, sorry.

So do you have a full load in school, are you there all day? I take 2 classes every 9 weeks, then I skip a week and take 2 more. Once I get to the other college I think it is only 1 class every 5 weeks, but you have to work with other people, not sure how that will go.

04/08/2009 09:43 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I become manic and very nervous when I'm in large crowds, so I take off my cochlear implants so that I don't have to worry about being overstimulated. When I walk on campus, I turn off my CIs (cochlear implants) and go to class using tactile information only through the input I receive through my guide dog's harness or my white cane.

I'm not in school right now. I took the semester off after my social work advisor, pdoc and tdoc recommended that I get my rapid cycling under control.

I can't take any more than one class at a time because it's too stressful.

Fortunately, I only have 2 more courses to take before earning my Bachelor's, so it won't be too long before I graduate.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 04/08/2009 21:44

04/09/2009 12:44 AM
maMONa
maMONaPosts: 1168

spinning,

I agree with another member who wrote that maybe the hysterectomy set things off with your wife.

I am 36, have bipolar type I with rapid cycling AND had a hysterectomy last year.

Things have gotten significantly worse since the operation now that u mention that.

I still have my ovaries, yet my episodes (depression and mania) have escalated since then.

BP is so hard and confusing to dx. as it is, we have mental instability issues from many areas, THEN to have a hyterectomy to ADD to the already unbalanced system with more hormonal changes! Of course i could see how your wife is different.

get her to a pdoc asap. if she has already left you to this other country, then there's really nothing you can do. I know u love her, but SHE needs to come back if she wants you or help.

04/09/2009 07:07 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3162

A correction.

Once before in this discussion I shot down any idea re Bipolar Disorder IV. Sorry about that one. Sad

I have recently read, and this is the only incidence I have come across the following Akiskal and Pinot's definations:

Bipolar I Bipolar II (hypomanica and major depressive symptoms and either + or - cyclothyic disorder),

Bipolar III (antidepressed and stimulate-asssociated hypomania,

and

Bipolar IV (depressive mixed state, that is major depressive disiorder plus some concurrent hypomania symptoms).

In general there are so many different symptoms which various researchers have listed to be different types of Bioplar Disorder. In other words it appears to me to be a real stuff up for those who resarch Bipolar Disorder and what criteria to use and whatt to name them.

I wish them luck in their work of compiling DSM-V.

JennyWren

Akiskal H.S and Pinto, O (1999) The Evolving Bipolar Spectrum: Prototypes I, II, III and IV. Psychiatr, Clin. North Am. 22,517-34

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 6 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved