MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/17/2009 10:19 AM

Bipolar Disorder and Homelessness

lokie
lokie  

I would like to know if anyone else's condition resulted in homelessness and how did they achieve their current recovery status?

lokie

03/17/2009 10:36 AM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

No but I was pretty close if my Mom hadn't taken us into her home I would've been homeless because I had nowhere to go. I couldn't work because I was to sick. She's such a good mom. She took care of me when I was sick. When I went to Loma Linda she took care of my two boys for 3 months. Do you still have insurance? Of not there are free clinics where you can get help and meds. I know you are in a horrible situation but please dont give up hope. You have to have faith that you will get out of this. It's just a temporary situation. I hope things get better for. Don't give up. You are a wounderful person with a big heart. You can do this.

03/17/2009 10:41 AM
lokie
lokie  

Thanks for the encouragment!

03/17/2009 10:57 AM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

Your very welcome. Pm me anytime you need to talk or a boost to yourself.

03/19/2009 12:00 AM
maMONa
maMONaPosts: 1168

Now that you wrote this thread, I guess my family was homeless for a while while i was growing up. We managed to live with my grandparents. My dad has severe BP and i can now see how living with BP can easily lead to such an issue as homelessness.

Persons with BP, for the most part, can be highly intelligent. But without proper supports, therapies, meds, life can bring havoc on our stability, or financial instability.

My dad was and still is a genius at his work and is veryy well respected in our town. But the issues with BP and his incapability to maintain his moods have cost him to quit jobs many times in his life to where now he can only work as self-emplyed as no one else can take his moods.

He had been vice president of several local companies while i was growing up....but in fits of anger, drunkenness and bad decisions, he blew it all.

I (also BP rapid cycler)am the primary breadwinner in my family and can easily see how my financial stability can go to shit from one day to the next. It's a scary thing to know that at any time...I can lose it and lose everything.

09/05/2010 01:17 PM
livinginablender
livinginablender  
VIP Member

My SO is currently homeless as a result of his choices. It is a hard thing to see happen.

09/05/2010 02:55 PM
MissGreen

My dad was homeless for awhile. Not like living under an overpass, but living in his truck/on people's couches, eventually moving to another city where he lived in a motel that his brother worked at for awhile, and eventually got his own place. Now he can barely get to work there bc his truck barely runs, but he has been able to keep this job a few years which is good. He would lose a lot of jobs and end up out of work when I was a kid. He was a truck driver for a long time, but would lose jobs for strange reasons sometimes.. one was because the company folded, one was laid off.. but some were because he thought people were sabotaging him, which my mom said he had had issues with paranoia like that affecting his jobs before. I still dont really know if he had job issues because of his mental issues or because he didnt really want to work and would find reasons to quit or get fired. But he would have periods when he would be working, have money, spend it all like buying a jet ski or something crazy, keep his job.. and then suddenly have job issues, lose his apartment, lose his stuff, start smoking again, and it would go downhill. All my news is through my brother though because my dad and I dont talk. A bipolar/bpd friend of mine that refused to take meds/go to therapy even though they wanted to put her on lithium recently ended up homeless, living in a motel splitting the cost with some guy. She had been the general manager of a restaurant and got fired (her own stupid fault). Evicted from her apartment. Eventually her mom let her move in.. but she still is finding reasons not to get another job. It happens pretty easily..

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved