MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/04/2009 09:48 AM

Husband Told Me Something About Me

SiouxInMyBlood
SiouxInMyBlood  

I finally got my hubby to open up about what he is experiencing/has experienced the last 5-6 months with me. He told me that around September, he was afraid our marriage was not going to make it. We have been together for 19 years, and I am a good wife and great mom of two teens... He said that I was acting very selfish then and everything was about me, me, me... and that I seemed to care a little less about the kids and a lot less about him. That broke my heart but I told him to please keep talking. He said he thought I was hypomanic (we never even heard of this until November or December) and that I was too open about some things that one should not necessarily talk about and I now remember some of what he meant (not all for some reason- weird). I thanked him for sharing,although it hurt and he said that he believes that the meds are really helping and that he has me back again. THis long conversation was both hard, but soooooo worth it to see how I affect other's. Thanks for letting me be open to you guys. Most of you know that I have just opened up (Monday) about truly having BPII and this is part of my learning processSmile

03/04/2009 09:54 AM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

Sioux,

I imagine that was a difficult conversation to have, but I'm glad it resulted in your husband having a better understanding of what you go through due to having BP. I'm so happy that he has seen the positive difference meds have made for you! Smile

03/04/2009 10:02 AM
DaniW

Thanks for sharing that Sioux! Sounds like you have a great husband Wink

10/01/2009 08:00 PM
aimeecat
aimeecat  

Dear Sioux,

My husband was just diagnosed BP type 1. I had to have him hospitalized. It's only been a week and he doesn't remember what led to the hospitalization. If I could have picked him up and carried him to the doctor I would have but he was threatening to kill me and himself and I didn't know what else to do. RIght now, he is very angry with me and doesn't believe he has an illness. I hope one day he will forgive me and love me again. I hope we can talk like your husband and you have talked. Your post gave me hope.

Thank you

10/01/2009 08:38 PM
Tex
Tex  

That must have been difficult on you to have him hospitalized and then have him not remember why it happened and blame you. It will take a while before he comes to accept what has happened to him and what he does under the influence of BiPolar. It took me several months to come to terms with my BiPolar, and deal with the guilt related to all the negetive things I did when manic.

10/01/2009 10:05 PM
aimeecat
aimeecat  

I don't want my husband to feel guilty. It was because he was in a manic state that went out of control. He is still my husband that I love. Neondreams, Tex and Sioux, what kind of support do you need from someone who loves you? How should I talk to him? I tell him I love him and I've tried to make him understand why I called 911. It just seems to agitate him because he thinks I'm lying. Is there anything I can say or do to calm him or make him realize I love him?

10/01/2009 11:04 PM
bagofcandy
bagofcandyPosts: 1259

aimeecat,

I think you might find the video at the link below informative. It's hosted on schizophrenia.com, but it applies to bipolar as well. Your husband may not believe you when you tell him he's sick due to Anosognosia, which is part of the illness. Is he still taking his meds?

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/004424.html

http://www.amazon.com/not-sick-dont-need-help/dp/0967718929/ sr=8-1/qid=1166719184/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6400105-8859621? ie=UTF8&s=books

10/02/2009 08:18 AM
aimeecat
aimeecat  

Thank you so much for this link. I had no idea that this was so common. I'm going to educate myself as much as possible about this illness and Anosognosia. This is exactly what my husband is going through now.

Thank you!

10/02/2009 10:17 AM
Tex
Tex  

Although largely used to describe unawareness of impairment after brain injury or stroke, the term 'anosognosia' is occasionally used to describe the lack of insight shown by some people who suffer from psychosis, and who therefore do not have the insight to recognize that they suffer from a mental illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosognosia

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved