MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/24/2009 07:38 PM

On the verge of a break down

mariel24h
mariel24hPosts: 1138

This is going to sound awful, but I need som esupport so here goes...

We got this puppy. I wanted my husband to have a dog. Well, this puppy cries and cries and piddles everywhere just like puppies do, but I have not been able to sleep for the past two days I am starting to really loose it mentally. I can't deal with anything and I am crying because of the huge change and I can't deal with change and I am so upset. I feel it was a mistake to get the damn dog in the first place. I want my life back the way it was. My husband and I can't even have a conversation because the dog is so needy. It is a baby golde retriever pup so they are expensive and someone will want him I am sure. But since I can't handle the dog, I am now the bad guy....God I feel so bad!

02/24/2009 08:04 PM
scooby

mariel,

Puppies are sometimes a pain. When we got one, I put up a low fencing (like they use in gardening) and did the newspaper thing. I think there are better ways to train a pup, it may be worth investigating.

Since getting rid of the dog is not an option, training it may be rewarding for you. After a certain age they don't squeal as much.

Janie and I had a tough time potty training Ming, our dog. Some friends came up to stay the weekend and brought their adult Shepoard. When we took them outside to do their thing, my dog saw the older dog go outside.

From that point forward, the dog was trained!

02/24/2009 08:09 PM
taurus
taurusPosts: 2893

Is anyone helping you with the puppy. Tell your husband if he wants to keep it than he has to take care of it. If it upsets your balance mentally than you shouldn't have to take care of the puppy at all. By the way I had a golden retreiver they are awesome dogs. Are you stabalized? Have you called your doctor? Good luck and I hope everything works out.

02/25/2009 06:26 AM
jritchie
jritchie  
VIP Member

Is the pup close to you or your hubby? Put a dirty sock of one of you in the pen with him. He will smell you and may feel better at night. When I got my pups, I made sure I had a piece of blanket with the Mommy's smell on it so the pup could sleep with it. If you got it from a breeder, maybe you could still do that. He is scared and misses his Mommy.

It's hard now, but if you can make it thru, it will be really good for you later. Right now it's like having a baby. Sometimes a hot water bottle helps, but some pups will chew it and make a mess.

Google it and see if you can find other suggestions.

02/25/2009 09:29 AM
mariel24h

Update: i am taking back to his mommy and his siblings. The owner that I bought the pup from is going to find another good home for her. She just won't give me my money back. That is OK. I learned a huge lesson here!

02/25/2009 09:49 AM
Arual001
Arual001  
VIP Member

what about a dog, not a puppy, something older, already trained and such?

02/25/2009 10:23 AM
bejeweled
bejeweled  

Oh that is too bad. I have a needy dog to. It's a ShitzPoo. We have had him for a year and it is a miracle he is still alive. He is the most annoying dog ever. Doesn't listen and wants to spend every waking moment up your butt. AND he kept pidoodling on the floor. Finally, I bought a tie out so that we could let him out whenever we wanted without having to walk him every five minutes. It has solved the problem. And when he is out, he can handle about 2 minutes before he starts crying, I can't hear him. So if I really can't deal with him I can get a 10 minute break if I need to.

02/25/2009 10:31 AM
mariel24h

These animals are like having babies but worse. At least with babies you can give them a pasifier or a bottle and they are quiet for a while. This dog never stops! Constant barking. I can't think or sleep. I can't wait to give him back to the owner. He will be happier with his momma anyway.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved