MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/23/2009 01:43 PM

Lost Health Insurance

shellshell
shellshell  

Hi Everyone, Just lost my job and found out that my former employer does not have to offer COBRA insurance until I can find new insurance.Am going to try to get insurance through the state and have a call into my therapist and psychiatrist about my meds. If I can't get help fast enough may have to come off meds for a short time. Anyone have a similar situation or any suggetions to keep from going to high or low?

02/23/2009 02:21 PM
Ubermensch

Contact your county's department of health and human services and see if they have a medication assistance program--many have one. You can also talk to them about seeing one of their psychiatrists and therapists, if need be.

If that doesn't work, then apply for drug assistance. You can go to this National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) link and they have the phone numbers and websites to various pharmaceutical companies. If you scoll way to the bottom of the page there are links to drug assistance programs.

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?section=about_medications& Template=/ContentManagement/contentDisplay.cfm& ContentID=19169

Post edited by: Ubermensch, at: 02/23/2009 15:21

02/23/2009 03:40 PM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Found this on cnn.com. If you are stuck without insurance go to this link and see if you can find help. I didn't check everything out so you'll need to do some searching. I thought it might be helpful.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/12/ ep.health.insurance.help/index.html

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved