MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/13/2012 06:26 PM

Distraction techniques

porch52
porch52Posts: 717

Hi guys, after nearly 8 years of not too bad mood swings, I'm in a doozy of a downer. I've been dealing with a lot of self injury thoughts, which I am trying to get out of my head. I think the anxiety I have and the psychosis (crawling feeling in wrists, visions in head) are making it worse. I don't have a lot of coping skills.

What do you guys do to distract you from thoughts like this? Clonazepam helps a little, but I want something non medicine related....any thoughts?

05/13/2012 06:35 PM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Journaling helps. Coming on here helps a little.

05/13/2012 09:40 PM
TeelRain7
TeelRain7  

My psychologist and I work on grounding techiques and they work very well for me when I'm anxious, experiencing psychosis, or feeling a panic attack coming on. it also works well for clearing bad thoughts by distracting you from it and disassociation.

Here's a good site:http://drkathleenyoung.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/ staying-present-during-trauma-therapy-grounding-techniques/

You can also just focus on distacting yourself by naming colors in the room, doing math problems in your head, reminding yourself the date, time, and place your in. It's really simple technique but it helps to clear out the bad thoughts. Good luckSmile

05/13/2012 09:47 PM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Have you tried the elastic band technique? Basically put one round your wrist and when you get the need to self harm, twang it. I used this technique for a while and now I haven't self injured in a long time.

05/14/2012 05:04 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

Take that rubber band off your wrist! 98% of therapists disapprove of this method. You are not an animal! I used to teach DBT and the rubber band technique was originally mixed into the teachings somehow, and even creator Marsha Linehan wishes she'd never included it into the curriculum. I suppose the rubber band trick would be appropriate for a child molester . . . It's just another form of self abuse, like fighting fire with fire!

Zadie

05/14/2012 06:02 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Memorize something, like a poem, Shakespeare monologue or a monologue from a favorite movie. Memorizing takes so much mental energy that if you really put yourself into it that it is hard to think of anything else.

(if you do the monologue from a favorite movie, just watching the bit over and over to write it down to memorize is pretty absorbing, sometimes you can find great monologues on youtube)

I am sorry that you are struggling and glad you are reaching out for support. We're here if continuing to post to this thread helps.

Post edited by: centerseeker, at: 05/14/2012 06:03 AM

05/14/2012 06:12 AM
porch52

Thanks. No worries about the rubber band, it never worked for my anyway. pressure helps, but mostly it's the tingling in my wrists that makes it so real. I've got an appointment for an oncall dr this afternoon, so hopefully they'll be able to help me.

I never tried the monologue, hopefully that will help. I also like to go through my favourite songs, so I can try that too. I know my counselor wants me to start deveoping coping strategies on your own but it's very hard when your mind is so pessimistic and hopeless.

05/14/2012 06:28 AM
porch52

Teel, I couldn't find that exact article, but that website has tons of useful information, thatnk for the share!

05/14/2012 06:37 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

If you do a search on MoodGYM it brings you to a really cool Australian website that is all about CBT (cognitive based therapy) and helps you learn to re-frame your negative thinking into more positive thinking.

Someone recommended it to me pr-dx when I was still trying to 'fix' myself. Even though it took getting help and meds to be stable I found the lessons I learned on there to be very helpful in getting a more positive mindset. I won't lie, it's kind of corny but I sincerely found it helpful.

(the website is ad free too, which is a big bonus!)

05/14/2012 08:19 AM
porch52

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. I have an apt with an on call dr today, because appreantly there's a med that will help get rid of the skin crawling/tingling. But those feelings of self harm are either staying the same or getting strong.

I almost wanted to go to the hospital last night, but took an extra clonazepam and tried to sleep it off. Sometimes I want to go there just to know I'm safe, but the my counselor, who was on the crisis line said they really couldn't do much for me, because I wasn't suicidal, they'd just watch me over night.

She reminded me that they're just thoughts and I have control over them, but the more I think of them the more enticing they get...I'll see what the doc and counselor say today. Hopefully I'll get some answers.

Luckily I'm busy today or I probably would be SI. I won't though, there's tons of people around me today. Just wish the urge would go away

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved