MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/09/2012 10:09 AM

Olanzapine?(page 2)

mrlmonroe1
mrlmonroe1Posts: 106

bangbang - I hope my story is like yours Smile I am taking a VERY Small dose (looked it up online). She has me taking 2.5 mg - and funny enough - I felt VERY drowsy with it, and slept like a BABY! That is such a tiny amount. Those that take 20 must get completely smacked down to the ground. Having said that I know that you build a tolerance and get to 20 you don't start there. I feel groggy today though. Or maybe I just feel subdued, and not manic (for a change). The incease in lithium, decrease in wellbutrin, and addition of the olanzapine has made me feel different overnight. I don't EVER react that fast to a med change....hmmm...strange.

05/09/2012 11:01 AM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Zyprexa worked great for me but i put on 50lbs so i refused to keep taking it and I was put on abilify. I was on 20mg and it knocked me out every night and really helped with mania.

05/09/2012 11:30 AM
Cages1976
Cages1976  

Zyprexa is the bullet to kill mania. For me it works fast and was my last AP to try. I have gained on it. I am 50lbs over weight. My pdoc added Metformin to mitigate(cease) the weight gain side effect and the metabolic syndrome. I have been on it for a month and a half. The weight gain stopped. During the day I am not constantly hungry and rummaging through junk food to get my craving to stop. There is the munchies i get right after I take the Zyprexa at night. I feel the Metformin is balancing out my insulin levels thus not letting the carbs turn immediately into fat.

Not sure if i explained that right. All in all I am happy the weight has stopped piling on. Despite all that i have been through with other side effects from other AP's, I am sticking it out with this one. Smile

Post edited by: Cages1976, at: 05/09/2012 11:31 AM

05/09/2012 12:29 PM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I remember when I was on Zyprexa it was very effective for me. More effective than most of the APs I've been on. The trouble was that I got akathycia (although they gave me some med to help with that) and as usual, I gained a chunk of weight. I think, if I remember right, I was doing well and back to work so the pdoc switched me to a different AP. I believe that backfired because I was in the hospital again in a jiffy (again away from work). I've been away from work for years, but I'm no longer that overweight.

Cages, I recall you responding to my thread re: Seroquel. I had gain plenty of weight on that med too (I was on 600 mg for a while). I asked my pdoc about Metformin and he might have yelled my ear off saying "NO!". I've heard the same from others. Not all pdocs are willing to prescribe a diabetes drug.

05/09/2012 12:41 PM
Cages1976
Cages1976  

I have heard that too about pdocs not wanting to prescribe it.

05/09/2012 12:59 PM
mrlmonroe1

Thanks for the replies all. Has anyone gained weight on 2.5mg only? I hope not (crossing fingers).

I am being prescribed this more for sleep than anything. Can't take sleeping pills, benzos, or trazadone - none work or they have bad side effects I can't deal with. So is it worth continuing with this with the risk of weight gain? Again maybe at this low dose I have nothing to worry about? I have suffered with bulimia on top of everything else, and am at a healthy weight (with much work) right now - and I don't want to torpedo that.

05/10/2012 08:30 AM
mrlmonroe1

bumping the thread - asking about the dose...??

05/10/2012 09:09 AM
is626

I have been on 2.5mg for 2 years, and have not gained any weight

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved