MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/03/2012 08:23 AM

Meds Meds Meds

dixiesam91
dixiesam91  

So, im on 150mg lamictal, slowly titrating to 200 mg, and im also on 20mg of prozac. Im finding myself to get pretty unsettled and anxious. I know that ive been told that antidepressants can trigger mania, and anxiety for someone with BPD. What upsets me, is my p-doc doesnt prescribe meds like xanax, i have been on xanax before for a short period of time for severe anxiety before i began treatment. I was thinking of asking my p-doc whom i see on the 11th, about some kind of breakthough medication, for when i feel like im suffering anxiety on rly bad days. Just something as needed, without her thinking im some kind of drug addict. Any suggestions on how to ask without soundin like i just want some good stuff, and maybe sm ideas of things you have found useful for your off days?

05/03/2012 08:33 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I would start by telling your pdoc that since you've been going up on Lamictal you are getting more and more anxious. For me, Lamictal is quite activating and I am not able to even take an antidepressant. Perhaps your pdoc might consider some modification to your current mix before adding a benzo. If I were you I'd rather not add a 3rd med if I could help it. My anxiety is pretty much gone now but I'm stuck with Klonopin for other reasons (possibility for bad withdrawl symptoms and possibility of seizures - I have a seizure disorder).

If your pdoc decides to put you on a benzo, please do take it as directed. Or if you get too much sedation, like from a Klonopin, tell your pdoc.

05/03/2012 08:39 AM
dixiesam91
dixiesam91  

I didnt know that lamictal could cause restlessness. Honestly since ive started the meds, im more confused than ever on how exactly i feel. I cant really explain how i feel anymore, and when i was at my worst i could word exactly what was going on, all i can rly tell i feel is anxious and restless.

05/03/2012 03:45 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Just be honest with your pdoc tell him you want relief when needed, I take Klonopin a small dosage daily i do not get much anxiety i know its due to being on a good med combo. Maybe your pdoc will make a med adjustment. Call him/her if you don't feel well my pdoc makes med adjustments over the phone not sure if yours will do that. You shouldn't have to be suffering like this, ask for an anti-anxiety med don't be afraid to you have your rights. I wish you all the best.

05/03/2012 05:18 PM
dixiesam91
dixiesam91  

Thanks Dit. I actually went to my reg doc today and talked to them about my anxiety telling them that my pdoc would not prescribe meds that ive taken before that have given relief. They gave me 300mg neurontin and i can take that up to three times daily. Im supposed to go to my pdoc and see if she will prescribe that if it works, and if not my reg doc will. So heres to hopin for the best!

05/03/2012 05:43 PM
orchidsrme
orchidsrme  

I've been prescribed blood pressure medications for anxiety. Benzo's aren't the only option. I'm on Propranolol and Klonopin. The Propranolol helps my mind stop racing and also helps the tremor from the Lithium. Just be honest with your doctor. Let them know all of the side effects you're having from the medication. They may switch you to something else or adjust the dosage. I wish you the best of luck! Trying to get on the right combo of meds can be very frustrating! I've been dealing with it for 16 years. Oh, and I was put on Prozac a few weeks ago and they took me off of it a week ago because I was "flat" and restless. I can't take SSRI's. Antidepressants and me don't mix well, and I've been on them for a long time Sad

05/03/2012 06:36 PM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Hey, I'm on propanadolol too! It has really calmed me down and taken away my urges for self injury. As the others have said, it takes many combos to try before finally hitting the right one.

05/03/2012 07:01 PM
dixiesam91
dixiesam91  

Thanks guys. Yea it is very frustrating, when your suffering you just want immediate relief and with mental illness's and medication, that just doesnt happen. After takin my first neurontin tonight, i got kind of sleepy, but not too much. i feel like i cld drive, but ill still give myself time to rly get used to it. i do feel a sense of calm, so hopefully this can rly be a good thing for me.

05/03/2012 08:25 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I take propanadol too. Love the stuff. Helps so much with situational anxiety.

05/04/2012 10:08 AM
orchidsrme
orchidsrme  

Propranolol works better than the Klonopin to stop my racing thoughts. It also made my restless legs go away with the Zyprexa. Well, the combo of the two help the restless legs. They get bad Sad

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved