MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/01/2012 08:56 AM

Clonazepam/Klonopin - time to be effective?

mem2427

My anxiety seems to be getting worse as it gets later in the day - usually mid-afternoon. Right now I take it only in the morning. When I first started it, I could take it up to 4 times per day as needed. I could hardly stay awake if I took all 4.

What I want to know is how long after you take an as needed dose, does it take to relieve your anxiety?

I see my pdoc next Monday. Not sure if I should talk to him about going back to as needed dosage or switching time of taking it. Maybe, it would be better if I took it mid-day.

05/01/2012 09:02 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I heard it can take up to 45 minutes or so to start taking effect, idk others may know more than I do. I too take Klonopoin on an as needed basis I take 1 tab a .05 mgs tab at bedtime daily. Congrats on getting this med reduced.

05/01/2012 09:48 AM
bfly
bfly  
VIP Member

It usually takes about 30 to 45 mins for me... and it's a night and day difference pre-anxiety and reduced anxiety. I would personally take it as needed- no reason to take it when you don't need it really- in my opinion... That's how I take it. 2mgs as needed. Sorry your anxiety is spiking- good luck with the klonopin

05/01/2012 09:50 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I've read that Klonopin is a longer acting benzo compared to others. I don't know exactly how long it takes to "kick in" but I assume if you take at least one pill regularly it will help you throughout most of the day. I used to take as much as 2 mg per day, but it was too sedating for me so over time I had my pdoc widdle it down to .5 mg at night. Honestly, I don't know how much it really helps me. I still get anxiety from time to time so I take Ativan "as needed", which is shorter-acting and works beautifully for me. I don't currently abuse any of these meds, but wish I could ditch Klonopin. But then some people swear by Klonopin.

05/02/2012 07:41 AM
mem2427

This morning I took my regular dose of clonazepam when I got up - usual time that I take it. It's only a little past 9:30 a.m. and my anxiety is already getting bad. My OCD is the number one thing that contributes to my anxiety. I have all these rituals about all these things and it sometimes irritates my husband. Today, we have a great deal of joint projects that have to get done. I hope that I can keep my anxiety in check by taking breaks when needed. My hubby is one of those who when he starts a project has to finish it. Sure wish now that my RX was as needed.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved