MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/15/2009 11:55 AM

getting to work, and staying there

ElsaSalsa
ElsaSalsa  

Lately I have been having an extremely hard time getting myself to get up and go to work. Every once in a while I'll go but I won't stay. I haven't been to work in almost a week. I'm going to try and go today, however I really don't want to...

I'm trying really hard to think of the benifits of going...

I stil live with my parents and I'm not stable enough to move out, so I'm going to concentrate on turning my room into "my space" and I'm going to mount a big screen LCD on my wall and have cable put in there along with a lot of other things I want to do.

of course that costs money. I make a lot...if I actually go.

so I try and think of that a lot, to motivate me but most of the time it dosn't work..

does anyone have any techniques or anything like that, that helps???

i really need some advice

02/15/2009 12:39 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I have the same problem when it comes to school (I'm a college student), so I know how you feel. What helps me most of the time is to picture myself doing a particular action. For example, sitting in lecture and taking notes. I find that this helps me not to think about all of the steps that are required for me in order to do something. (i.e. wake up, take a shower, brush teeth, brush hair, get dressed, take guide dog outside, eat breakfast, walk to bus stop, etc.) Perhaps that would help? Another suggestion is to ask your pdoc about Provigil. I know several people with bipolar who are on this med due to problems with motivation and it has really helped increase their overall energy level.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 02/15/2009 12:44

02/15/2009 12:46 PM
Ele

I have a hard time motivating myself to go anywhere so I am not going to be much help. Once I get out and going I am fine it is just the act of getting ready and leaving that is hard. Sometimes I remember the feeling of freedom and that motivates me to leave the four walls. I agree with neon about the provigil or something to help you get out as long as it didn't make you manic.

02/15/2009 01:11 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

That's true, Ellie. I'm glad you mentioned the possibility of mania. If the original poster wants to consider taking Provigil, I would recommend that they make sure they are also on one or two mood stabilizers as well.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved