MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/28/2012 07:36 AM

SSRI-induced mania? Chance in court?

mark42

Hello,

I'm finally realizing that I completely lost contact with reality during my full-blown-mania. I've practically waisted 1 year of study, friendships and more.. 50.000 Dollar is my lowest estimate. Above all, I've waisted 1 year of my life.

I did it myself, but I wasn't sane, without the SSRI it would never had happened. Moreover, I've told my psych several times I wasn't normal, lost my brakes, but he didn't take it seriously, unfortunately.

Now is my question, has anyone else experienced SSRI-induced mania? Are there any cases of bringing this to court? I'm seriously considering it.. Not just for the money, but also because I find it unacceptable that a medicine that is supposed to heal you, can mess you up completely.

Post edited by: mark42, at: 04/28/2012 07:37 AM

04/28/2012 11:45 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I've never gotten antidepressant mania from SSRI's. It does happen though. Without a mood stabilizer, a lot of bipolar people experience mania/hypo-mania. I'm sorry you lost that year because of this. It sounds like you need a new psychiatrist. He should have known this could happen and should have listened to you. I don't know if any are brought to court. I would think maybe since it affects your life, but I'm not certain. I hope you get put on the right medications for your symptoms. You would feel a lot better. Hang in there.

04/28/2012 11:54 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

Some people, like me, just can't take antidepressants. Heck, I can't even take a high dose of Lamictal since it is an activating moodstabilizer. Of course I've been manic or at least hypomanic from the many times I tried in the past. In my early days I would take just the SSRI, but in 2 weeks I'd be feeling great and would stop it before too much hell broke loose.

I have no idea how much of a responsibility the pdoc has in the case you mention. I guess you can always ask one of the lawyers that specializes in medication cases. I know that on most, if not all, paperwork that comes with SSRIs there is some mention of mania being possible.

I'm sorry you have found yourself in such a bad situation. Perhaps with a proper med adjustment you will find stability again (if you don't have it already) and things will be a little easier to deal with. Perhaps organizations like NAMI could lead you in the right direction.

01/10/2014 07:50 AM
New1

I too had SSRI induced mania. By the time I was diagnosed I had a criminal record. It was a nightmare. After stopping the SSRIs I went back to normal (more or less - I had some withdrawals) but after 4 years I am fully back to normal except for this record. It ruined my life. I still can't get a real job in my field.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved