MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/25/2012 03:56 AM

Can you remember stuff you did while being manic?

mark42

I'm slowly stabilizing. Do you remember stuff you did while being manic?

I can hardly remember a thing.. Or the other way around.

04/25/2012 04:46 AM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I had a med change a year ago and i was borderline manic...there are things my kids tell me and my husband that i vaguely remember doing, things I said and did were slightly bizarre at times. I don't normally get manic but this med re-adjustment really did a number on me, lasted almost 4 months, i'd go from hypomanic to borderline mania...wasent' sleepng much either.

When i had my initial braekdown a long time ago, I was psychotic and there were a lot of things i did not remember doing, family had to tell me and I could not hardly believe how nuts I was, i was very sick, thank God i've never suffered psychosis ever again, this was 29 yrs ago.

04/25/2012 06:58 AM
stevesayshi
stevesayshi  

I can't remember half my life .LOL My last episode had me bouncing from one piece of furniture to the other. The whole time my wife yelling at me "Don't you break my rocker!" Here I am with that grin on my face saying watch this! I can sure get hyper. At times like that I don't know weather they want to laugh or cry? My ten year old thinks it's funny.

04/25/2012 07:42 AM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

I have my blank moments. Told I did things I have no memory at all of. Nothing remotely funny.

04/25/2012 08:25 AM
hypnagogic
hypnagogic  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I don't remember most of my teenagehood. There are so many gaps.

It's only in retrospect as I get older (did I say 'older'?) that when I'm more stable I can see "some" of the things I did while manic. I did say "some" mind you. Often, things are stored away and I forget. Maybe it's my mind trying to protect me. I've heard it called Memory State Dependency. In any regard, it is frustrating.

04/25/2012 08:39 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have some vague memories from my last manic episode that haunt me. They are not vivid, but enough is there that I can kind of fill in the blanks and know that I did some things of which I am not proud. I have a lot of holes in my memory from the past. Whether or not that is all related to mania, I don't know.

04/25/2012 08:51 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

so was it the manic or beer that make me forget?

04/25/2012 09:06 AM
stevesayshi
stevesayshi  

Alcohol never made me black out. I'd wake up with a hangover no matter how many shots or beers.I think it's the suppression of emotions that make me forget.

04/25/2012 09:36 AM
dugg
dugg  

sometimes yes, sometimes no...

sometimes there's physical evidence- artwork, some writing, maybe a stack of clean laundry. other times there's gaps, and sometimes memories of things i'd rather forget...

04/25/2012 05:12 PM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

how can i tell you if i forgot, i remember crashing a few motorcycles, i had after effects from that, or some of fights. my 1st wife use to hit me with bat after i passed out, she would get so mad at me for some of stupid things i did, i thought i just hurt myself when drunk, how i remembered was when someone told me the next day what i said or done.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved