MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2009 10:07 AM

Cycling....could anti-depressants be the reason?

mariel24h
mariel24hPosts: 1186

Hi all, I had a pdoc appointment last night. I told my doc about how a couple of days I had a lot of anxiety, then I was high one day, then depressed the next day.She said "You were cycling". So she decreased my prozac from 20mgs to 10mgs. Let's see if that does the trick.

02/11/2009 10:22 AM
Ele

Glad you had a pdoc appt and she adjusted your medication. It is nice when they listen and are proactive.

02/11/2009 10:53 AM
kimminentdanger
kimminentdanger  
VIP Member

hi mariel -

i think that it's entirely possible that the anti-depressants may have played a part in the cycling. of course, i'm no doctor... but i can tell you that my personal experience with anti-depressants was not a good one...

i had not been diagnosed with bipolar yet, and my pcp thought that perhaps i has some pretty severe PMS (lol)... he prescribed Wellbutrin, which caused me to go OFF THE WALL... that was the birth of my ultra rapid (or ultradian) cycling...

Dizzy

i hope the adjustment takes care of things for you... let us know. Wink

02/11/2009 12:15 PM
vovee08
vovee08  

i am just starting on zoloft...do antidepressants always cause rapid cycling and or mania? i was trying to curb depression

02/11/2009 01:56 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

My pdoc told me that anti-depressants normally do not cause rapid cycling as long as a person is on one or two mood stabilizers. I'm a rapid cycler and am taking a mood stabilizer, anti-depressant and antipsychotic. I'm also taking a sleep med at a low and PRN dosage for when I'm manic or can't sleep. I think this combination has served me well despite last night's manic episode. I've been stable for the past 3 weeks which is saying alot considering the fact that I haven't been stable for the past year and a half. mariel, I'll be crossing my fingers in the hopes that the decrease in your anti-depressant helps.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved