MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/25/2008 06:49 PM

Parents with children (10-12 yrs) w/Bipolar Disord

MaggieMae
MaggieMae  

I'm curious to see what other parents are experiencing after their child has a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. How medicines are helping, how they deal with issues, etc.

01/25/2008 09:25 PM
callme2crazy
callme2crazy  

MaggieMae do you have children who have been diagnosed with BP?

This has become a hot topic due to the unprecedented increase in children being diagnosed with bipolar disorders. I want to preface my opinions by saying that I am an open minded woman and I have a long family history of BP so I know it is genetic in some cases, some. I firmly believe that the psych drug manufacturers are behind this move to diagnose young children and I don't believe it one bit. I think this is criminal and parents need to get tough and stand up for their kids. Love your children, spend time with them, listen to them, be the parent you would have wanted for yourself. But never ever let a doctor in any field tell you that your children are bipolar.

The meds we take as adults are harsh and require a great deal of insight to even know if they are working, or, harming. These drugs are totally inappropriate for children whose bodies are growing at such a rapid rate. And since they do not even fully understand how these meds work for adults how the hell can we think of giving them to children.

I do not want to offend or turn any parent away from this web site because of my strong feelings. Please know that I have most likely been bipolar beginning in 1978 but was severe enough to notice until around 1995, and I still didn't know until 2000. My noticeable symptoms started when I was 18 and left for college but they still did not impair my life.

There just has to be something better we should be doing for our children! I have personally known many adults with BP and I have lived in group housing at one point with 5 women at a time. I have heard all of their stories and not one of them was diagnosed before the age of 16. This adds up to more than 40 people.

I have done endless research in my efforts to find my own healing, so I feel that I am talking about something that I know very well.

Ten or fifteen years ago no one was talking about this and now it has become an exploding industry, for the drug companies.

I have met very few good doctors of psychiatry but I have know many, many bad ones. I don't trust them and I damn sure wouldn't trust them with my two children.

Here is the one important thing I have learned in my own medical journey, doctors are just people. Some are nice, caring people and some are not. You cannot turn yourself or a loved one over to a doctor without learning and questioning EVERYTHING. People make mistakes, doctors make mistakes.

I hope this discussion can grow into a learning experience for all who come here, me included.

01/25/2008 09:53 PM
jackson5mom
jackson5mom  

I am glad for your insight and thoughts on this. I believe that my 9 year old may be bipolar, but he is not diagnosed and I have not spoken to pd about this.

I am concerned because he rages over things that are so little. He says "I'm going to kill myself" over everything. If he has to re-do his homework, "I'm going to kill myself". If I won't buy him cool new shoes, same thing.

Once he gets mad, he throws things, screams cuss words, and hits his brothers. When he calms down he is an angel and is sorry that he was angry. He talks about not likeing his anger and not having control of it.

He is currently on Adderral for ADHD which makes a big difference in his ability to focus in school. I do not give it to him on weekends, cuase he doesn't need that kind of focus.

I am always available for him, and we talk many times through the day. Soemtimes I think he must act this way because I am somehow a bad mom and have failed him. I know intellectually it is not true, but there it is.

I am very cognizant of the jumping on the latest bandwagon trend, and that is probably partly why I have not spoken to pd. Other reason is I feel we can still manage it at home, so meds are not appropriate at this time. But then I worry that I am wrong about THAT decision.

I write behavior plans for children at work, and am kind of an "expert" in this area. Yet I can't seem to find the right combination of supports at home to pull him out of the anger stuff. I have tried "everything" (even spanking, which I knew would not help- and it did not help)but there we go again with the Jeckyl and Hyde stuff.

anyway - just wanted to let you know why some people might be comfortable with a bipolar diagnoses for their child.

01/26/2008 10:41 AM
callme2crazy
callme2crazy  

Parents who face the hard decision of allowing their children to be medicated for BPD need to research and get all the facts before doing so. These meds are very likely to cause permanent changes for your child, side effects such as involuntary movements and tics.

I am not trying to scare or shame anyone here, please know this comes from my heart. I do believe children can have some types of mood disorders. I am questioning the need for them to be taking these new psych drugs that have not worked for adults. And everyone should be aware that the newest class of anti depressants, the ones we've all been taking, do not work 80 to 85% of the time. No one should put these drugs into our children, but they are.

I encourage parents to educate themselves thoroughly and from multiple sources. Read about adults too because there is more accurate data for them. And if you disagree, get a second opinion. or you can just disagree. One thing that is widely know but not greatly discussed is the fact that meds and therapy have a significantly greater chance of working than meds alone. And therapy alone has proven to be more beneficial that meds alone.

Just food for thought.

01/26/2008 02:15 PM
Lustrious

I would suggest reading up on oppositional defiant disorder. We have to remember that each child is an individual with different personalities and abilities for dealing with home and social situations. As parents we need to remember that our children depend on us for stability, to learn the proper coping skills, etc.

I remember when my son (now 25) was in the 4th grade his teacher convinced me to have him evaluated for ADD and I did. His pedi doc put him on ridilan (sp). After 4 months I took him off of it. As it turns out it was his teacher and not him. We never had any other teachers after this one complain about our son being so unruly in class. Perhaps your child is reacting and dealing with something that you are not aware of and therefor unable to help him... Just something to think about...

I agree with a lot of what callme2crazy posted above. To many medications that have not been approved by the FDA to treat specific disorders/diseases are being pushed by Big Pharma to treat conditions for which there are no scientific studies to back the drug being used to treat those conditions - it is called "off lable use".

I hope things work out well for you and your son. I deffinately would try therapy before medications!

01/26/2008 03:29 PM
sky
sky  

The dr. we took our daughter to did very extensive testing on her, like 5 hours twice, and concluded she had anxiety and mild tourettes. He actually asked her if she felt she was doing ok, socially and academically. She responded she was. He wrote her a plan she can leave the classroom if she starts one of her 'tic's or was feeling very anxious. She is just allowed to go to the nurse, no questions asked. I think it made her feel so much more relieved, that she knows she can do something about it if she really gets bad, that she told me she has never had to utilize her plan.

So, based on her own opinion of how she is handling things, her dr. did not prescribe anything.

However, he did express concern to us that the family history of bipolar, ocd, & depression on her dad's side of the family, and depression and anxiety on mine, that we should watch her carefully as changes can occur during adolescence.

I have noticed, that her friends will just tell her, "you are making that funny noise again, or stop doing that eye flutter thingy" and they giggle about it with each other. I am so relieved her friends are accepting of her 'thingys' as they call them! Sometimes,6 months goes by and she doesn't have any symptoms at all, sometimes one or 2 pop up for a few weeks.

01/28/2008 06:15 PM
gonecrazy

I FELT GUILTY FOR LOOKING AT MY CHILD AND THINKING "SOMTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT BOY". WHAT KIND OF MOM THINKS THAT? THEN I WENT THROUGH THE "HE WILL OUT GROW IT" STAGE...HE DIDN'T. I GOT MY WAKEUP WHEN I WENT TO HIS SCHOOL FOR FIELD DAY AN RELIZED HE DIDN'T HAVE A SINGLE FRIEND. NOT ONE. THAT WAS THE 4TH GRADE. 10 YEARS OLD AND HE HAD NEVER HAD A FRIEND. HIS FATHER WAS DIAGNOSED AS BIPOLAR AFTER WE DIVORCED (THATS ANOTHER STORY) SO I KNEW IT RAN IN THE FAMILY. I TOOK HIM AND HAD HIM EVALUATED. TO MADE A LONG STORY SHORT HE IS NOW 12 YEARS OLD AND TAKING 5MG ABILIFY EVERY NIGHT. IT WASN'T AN EASY DECISION. MEDICATION COMPLIANCE IS A MAJOR FACTOR IN CONTROL OF THE DISORDER. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO WAIT UNTIL HE WAS AN ADULT AND THOUGHT THAT MANIC/MANIA WAS A NORMAL WAY OF LIVING? HE IS DOING GREAT AND IS THE MOST POPULAR BOY IN HIS CLASS.

01/28/2008 07:01 PM
Lustrious

gonecrazy,

I don't see any reason for you to feel guilty. I think it takes a strong parent to be able to recognize there may be a problem with their child and seek help for them. You did what a mom is suposed to do - help their child have a better life.

I don't think anyone here (myself included) meant to imply that maggiemae ignore what is going on with her child nor imply for her to chalk it up as being typical of all children.

I am happy to hear your son is doing so well.

Take care.

Lustrious

01/28/2008 07:19 PM
callme2crazy
callme2crazy  

gonecrazy your story proves what we do not know but want to learn about. I am thrilled that your son is doing so well.

I have an eleven year old son and seventeen year old daughter and yes I search their behaviors for any 'signs' of BP. I have fourth generation BP and I was not diagnosed until my son was four. I am quite certain I would not have had children if I had full blown BP and knew what it meant.

If someone is out of control and cannot focus then they cannot be reasoned with on any level. If a child is in this situation then naturally we look for an explanation for their behavior. We want our children to be healthy, and accepted among their peers, we want them to know joy.

There is nothing wrong in the way you are thinking about your son. What you felt is a perfectly natural blip on your mommy radar.

God bless you and your son.

01/29/2008 03:57 AM
birdie1120
birdie1120  

I have a nine year old son. He was diagnosed with ADHD. When he was 6 he was diagnosed. He has behavioral problems for sure. He is trying to get kicked out of school when he does not like to be there. Which is almost weekly. I have tried everything to like school. he sees a therapist for the problems. Most of the time he does not talk about what bothering him. He has a pdoc who sees either once a month or between 2 weeks to 3 weeks if needed. The pdoc has him abilify and topomax. They have said that he has a mood disorder. It is hard to tell which is his behavior and if he is having problems with his moods. I have bipolar 2. I sometimes worry that he has it too. I am now waiting to see where this is going. I sometimes have a hard time dealing with it. I do feel like it is my fault. wehat I do is quash it. I have to, he needs me to be strong. I love him with all my heart. In this diificult time I get stressed out. Just wanted to tell my story. It helps to get it out. Thanks for reading.

birdie1120

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved