MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/08/2009 05:49 PM

I am wondering how other people cope with this

geni
geni  

I have realized that if you want to get rid or at least some distance from some of your "friends" have a suicidal episode and then when the hospital releases you tell them you are bi~polar. I am fully aware that this means they were not "true friends" to begin with. However, it is still adding to my loneliness and depression. I feel like some of my friends have just stopped reaching out to me completely and are even avoiding me to some extent. Others are handling me with kiddie gloves and distancing themselves a good bit. I have been diagnosed for YEARS so the only thing that has changed is ....now they know. The online groups are great but they can not take place of friendships that are face to face in the flesh so to speak.

02/08/2009 06:09 PM
Ele

That would be tough. Maybe if you just give it some time your real friends will come back. I wish I knew what to tell you. I am sorry.

02/08/2009 06:45 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

I know how you feel. It's one of the reasons why I've struggled to share my diagnosis of bipolar with my friends and even my own family. I just don't know how they'll react and don't want them to think that every reaction I have is due to my bipolar. One of the things my sister said to me last year when I was cycling constantly was that I was always upset. The truth was, sometimes this was due to my bipolar, but other times it was not. The same thing goes for sleep. Sometimes I just want to take a short nap like anyone else. It's not because I'm depressed or am trying to escape my problems. Fortunately for me, ever since my rapid cycling has settled down over the past 3 weeks, my sister is starting to see the old me again and is beginning to understand the difference between a neondreams who is cycling vs. a neondreams who is level.

Post edited by: neondreams, at: 02/08/2009 18:46

02/08/2009 08:30 PM
geni
geni  

I was recently hospitalized for an O.D. ...yes intentional. Even one of my nurses kept telling I was being "manic" when I was really just having a normal reaction to a bad situation. Her answer....she gave me more meds to sedate me.2 adavan (don't know the dosage) on top of the 300mg of seroquel I already take at night. I called my mom and she said I was slurring like I was drunk!!! I have friend who is adopted. Her birth mother is in an institution an is diagnosed with paranoid p~frenic (sorry couldn't spell it to save my butt without a dictionary). My friend knows her birth mother and visited twice. She says she can't handle seeing her. I know there are more reasons with that situation. However, we talked everyday. She was constantly calling my hubby and checking on me when I was in the hospital. Yet now I am home and she is acting totally different toward me. It hurts my feelings but there is nothing I can do but wait it out and see what happens. I wish that people would educate themselves about a disorder before judging someone. Sorry I know I am a little hyper.....or "manic" at the moment...lmbo but I am frustarated! xxxx

02/08/2009 09:13 PM
neondreams
neondreams  
VIP Member

geni,

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I've lost a few real and online friends because I chose to be honest about my bipolar. It's a shame that there's such a negative stigma out there about mental illness and that people refuse to educate themselves about disorders like bipolar. Life would be so much easier if they took the time to understand what we go through instead of looking at us like we're different from them.

02/08/2009 10:00 PM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

Geni, hi sweetheart.

Ive learned through the years that people will always shy away from what they dont understand. Be it diabetes, cancer...bipolar. Ive also learned that if I want someone to understand me or what I'm going through, I have to be very selective in who I tell. That is one of the reasons I feel so comfortable here at MDJ. Everyone understands. Ive made some GREAT friends here. I know that you will too sugar. We cope with it, by getting support from others who know what we are going through.

02/09/2009 05:03 AM
1cewaswild

Geni,

that is so common for friends to fall away once everything comes out about our bipolar. Kind of the nature of the beast, but then again, those who stay are there for the real you! Sometimes quality is really better than quantity...

In the meantime, we are all here for you!!!!

02/09/2009 10:40 AM
cre8tivejojo

I lost a few friends and a boyfriend when I revealed my diagnosis. And you're right, it makes it hurt worse. It's cheesy but you've got to see the glass as half full - they're not good "grow with" friends if they ditch you like that. A "grow with" friend loves you for who you are, including struggles like Bipolar.

02/09/2009 05:15 PM
SiouxInMyBlood
SiouxInMyBlood  

Only my husband and one sister know... It is okay to talk about depression now and it was not when I was little and my mom or her sisters would be depressed, so I am hoping that society will soon be able to discuss BP. Your answers are all good and I know that the only way society will see is if we teach them... I am just too new and raw to do that yet.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved