MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/16/2012 08:56 AM

Vistaril for sleep

Linda27
Linda27Posts: 227

Does anyone use this med or has used this med to help with sleep? I was on this back in 1996 to help with sleep and when I mentioned to my pdoc that I think my inability to fall asleep at night (but being so tired every other part of the day) was contributing to my depression he decided to start me on a sleep med. Since I was already on this he decided to try this first and if this doesn't work he will put me on Ambien. I read that Vistaril is a antihistamine which would help with my allergies so that is a plus.

Post edited by: Linda27, at: 03/16/2012 08:57 AM

03/16/2012 11:25 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry I have never even heard of this medication. It's good that it will help you in other ways too for your allergies. I hope the medication works for you and you are able to sleep. Good luck!

03/16/2012 11:43 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

= Atarax = Hydroxyzine. Used for allergies with calming side effects. Practically placebo, like Benadryl, for the patient who can't take benzos.

03/16/2012 11:46 AM
hypnagogic
hypnagogic  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I've never taken Hydroxyzine, though my daughter has. Yes, it doubled as an antihistamine, which was good for her allergy to bananas. She was prescribed it as an anti-anxiety.

I have been on Ambien before. For me, it allowed me to fall asleep but I woke up not really rested. That's just been my experience. It's different for all.

03/27/2012 10:50 AM
zorski
zorski  

HI,

I'm a retired md and noticed all the meds you are on. I am of the school of less is more. Vistaril is also known as atarax and is an antihistamine related to meclizine. Can help with sleep, anxiety and nausea.

Adderall and well-butrin are both very activating meds and may be contributing to your sleep difficulties. I take 200mg of seroquel at night and sleep like a log...it also has mood stabilizing and antidepressent effects.

I am diagnosed bipolar II with ptsd/anxiety disorder. I was taking lexapro 10mg per day and recently increased to 15mg and am feeling better than ever. Lexapro is a good antidepressent and indicated for generalized anxiety disorder.

For myself, antihistamines make my nighmares worse. Ambien is like a benzo and can be addictive.

Remeron is an antidepressent that also helps with sleep. I would recommend talking to your doc about streamlining your meds.

03/27/2012 10:54 AM
zorski
zorski  

ps a good website regarding mood stabilizers is psycheducation.org.

03/27/2012 11:02 AM
Linda27
Linda27Posts: 227

Thank you's for your reply's. Vistaril is not the med for me. It caused me to sleep for 12+ hours and I still felt extremely tired all day. I'll be calling my pdoc back and seeing where we go from here.

I have been on adderall and wellbuterin for over a year and they haven't caused me issues with sleep in the past, so I'm not sure that is the issue.

03/27/2012 11:24 AM
zorski
zorski  

fyi-I don't mean to tell you what to do but just a suggestion..ask about changing your depakote to seroquel as both a mood stabilizer and for sleep. Also neurotin can be good for chronic headaches and can also help with sleep. But every body's different and react differently to meds.

03/27/2012 03:09 PM
zorski
zorski  

do you mean the depakote?

03/27/2012 03:35 PM
Yrollam
YrollamPosts: 2476

I am on visteril for anxiety. It does knock me out. I've been told it is just strong benydrl. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, do you think your dose was too high?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved