MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/25/2012 02:11 PM

common things said to people with mental illness(page 5)

centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My cousin and I, who are best friends and she is one of only a handful of people I told, were on the phone yesterday. This was our conversation:

My Cousin: I don't think you are bipolar and I don't think those medications are helping you.

Me: Yes I am and yes they do.

My Cousin: How do you know?

Me: Because I feel better! (duh!)

04/01/2012 04:33 AM
Nienna
Nienna  

This thread influenced me to join and post!

Stop being so negative, think positively.

I know all about it. I have a friend who... (same person who quoted the above... Consequently have not informed them that my diagnosis had been changed to bipolar)

What's your problem? Why are you so angry at everything? (from husband who should know better by now)

You sound OK. (after informing someone by phone that I was in hospital)Angry

04/01/2012 04:58 AM
somethingdif
somethingdif  

My dad didn't understand for 12 years. It finally dawned on me, mental illness is like your Multiple Sclerosis you can't help it, you cant heal it, you cant change it. Touche.

His famous words were;

Stand straight you'll feel better

Smile you'll feel better

Go to Work you'll feel better

Don't think bad thoughts you'll feel better.

etc. etc. etc.

If I had cancer atleast everyone would shut up

04/01/2012 05:04 AM
Cat349243

My wife says "Everyone goes through stressfull mental times" & "get out of your head and stop thinking about yourself"

Also my arsehole boss always gives it to me, I work for the government so his behavior is forbidden. I take in a note taker and record him secretly now and man have I got some gems in case he really tries to get me sacked because I have a mental illness. He has said things like "You need to straighten your head out and harden the f*** up" - "You don't have a real problem, I cannot help you because I cannot see it. If you had a broken leg I could help" Just to name two. If he decides to screw me the amount of recorded material I have will crucify him. (BTW if anyone decides to use a note taker to record conversations with bosses where by you know you will abused - NEVER TELL THEM YOU ARE RECORDING THEM AND NEVER TELL ANYONE ELSE YOU ARE DOING IT - NOT ONE PERSON. It is not usable in evidence in a court of law if you don't tell someone you are recording them BUT in most government companies it is permissible to play a recording to a member of HR staff but get them to keep the recording secret and don't leave a copy with them.

Sorry a bit of a tangent there..

Oh yeah "Have you taken your medication"? When someone doesn't like your behavior. Also when a family member says "You are not trying hard enough and not doing enough for yourself" When your head is barely above water and you are trying everything to get well.

Post edited by: Cat349243, at: 04/01/2012 05:06 AM

04/01/2012 05:19 AM
Cat349243

This reminds me - I read a saying on the net somewhere - this is SO TRUE it goes along the lines of 'Mental illness is the only illness where you go home and get abused for'

This reminds me of a youtube clip I saw from the 80's of this poor bloke who had severe schizophrenia. He was sitting around a table with his mum and some psychiatrists. He was talking in a mixture of riddles, word salad with some moments of lucidity. His mum was LECTURING him and sort of blaming him for being committed in a psych hospital an threatening to leave the town and not visit him if he didn't sort himself out. This made me cry. The poor kid was sick, and they were blaming him for it. It makes me SO angry.

Sorry about the other tangent! Just wanted to mention this.

10/10/2012 09:18 PM
misssy
misssy  

Hey niecyspieces,

You hit the nail right on the head. I always know when I have been stepped on with a few words carelessly, but am never sure how to express why I feel bad. You did it so well! Thank you, misssySmile

10/10/2012 10:25 PM
MCG
MCG  

I haven't read through the entire thread as my concentration levels aren't that great today. But this is one of my all time favorites:

"But you were fine yesterday"

10/11/2012 12:20 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

"Are you OK?"

10/11/2012 12:24 AM
liamacker
liamacker  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

'Slow Down'

10/11/2012 12:31 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

"You'll be OK."

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 5 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved