MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/13/2012 06:01 PM

Money and Bipolar

Light68
Light68Posts: 520

I need to ask a question, as I get so sick of doing the tick the boxes test to be told I can't have bipolar as I am good with money. Yes I some ways I am good with money, but I have had to, I had to survive on my own from the age of 16, I had no one to ask for a hand out and help, just me and I worked, always have. In Australia it is not easy to get finance and when I sold my house I made money, so I had money to spend and I did, I only ran out broke a month ago, I think this is why I want a job, not use to having no money, I always paid cash get great deals that way.

So does everyone with Bipolar have a problem with money??????

03/13/2012 10:48 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

A lot of people have a problem with money when hypo-manic/manic. Not all though. I don't consider myself to overspend because I'm like you and had to fend for myself my whole working life. Things weren't handed to me either. If I don't budget, I won't make the bills. I have to not spend or I'll get broke. I'm sorry you are now without money. I hope you can get a job very soon. I too am unemployed at the moment. It's really hard to deal with. I wish you the best of luck!

03/14/2012 06:41 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm not great with money but as I never have much of it my over spending will be like 20-30 bucks I couldn't afford. Only once in my life did I buy a big ticket item (a car) that I couldn't afford and I was still diagnosed bipolar.

I am sorry that you are broke and I hope you find employment soon.

03/14/2012 07:27 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I have frugal spending sprees when hypomanic and manic. I maybe spend MAX $1000 over the course of the episode. I know $1000 is still a lot, but some people buy expensive jewelry and cars. Otherwise, I'm fairly frugal.

The only thing I spend too much money on when stable is restaurant food and drink. I'm on disability and when I am stable for a bit I like to go out to restaurants to be around people. It's lonely at home. I also go out to restaurants when hypomanic, manic, but the difference is the type of restaurant and the number of drinks. For example, I've been stable since Friday so I eat at Quiznos or a cheap pizza place and have ice water or diet soda. When hypomanic/manic I eat at moderate to expensive restaurant for lunch and order 2 drinks (I don't order more drinks because I get sick when I drink 4 or 5 drinks or more).

03/14/2012 07:31 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

I'm a disaster. Two words: Credit cards. I'm roughly $16,000 in debt and just recovering from a manic shopping spree. Sometimes I go without eating in order to "save" money, it's ridiculous I know . . . .

Zadie

03/14/2012 09:50 AM
hemhide7
hemhide7  

My bps, is dreadful, doesnt matter if he has one dollar or a thousand, he has to spend it all, his credit is in the toilet. He moved out a while ago, I manage to feed clothe and house myself and four kids on less than him and he never has any money.

03/14/2012 10:30 AM
LaurenCat
LaurenCat  

I must say I am quite good with money.I manage the money in our house. If I am manic I may go on a small spree, but usually just some clothes or a new hairdo, never anything excessive. My doctor has pointed out that it is only ONE of the symptoms of bipolar. You don't have to have every single symptom to be diagnosed with bipolar.

03/14/2012 06:47 PM
Light68
Light68Posts: 520

Thank you I feel they over enthuisise some things. And depending on where you live in the world to how they evaluate mental health. But it has been said time and time again, oh I am so confused with everything, I thought when I came off zoloft my life my be a bit normal but it is worse, I am struggling with my self and it doesn't matter what way I go someone throws an obstetrical in my way, my head hurts my body just wants to give up and i just want to curl up and hide.

03/14/2012 07:20 PM
uncertainone

Hi light,

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.

I don't usually over spend. Today for lunch I bought a bagel toasted with cream cheese $2.34. I did tip the change. So I spent $3. I think that it depends on the person, maybe spending $3 for lunch for some people is a lot and some would say that's nothing.

I think that you can have some symptoms and not others and still have bipolar. I think it also depends on how severe an episode you are going through. When I was really manic I started getting OCD symptoms, really bad anxiety and even some agoraphobia. When the episode ended so did the symptoms. (Not to come back ever again-hopefully) See ya, Maria

03/14/2012 07:43 PM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

I have a tendency to do the give me something that tastes good when I am depressed. But other than that, I am like you have always been on my own and had to live in dumps most of my life cause I didn't make much money.

Any way, bipolar is moods from mania to depression and it can be sudden. That what defines bipolar not spending habits. I know my exhusband has to have the latest and best whatever and he is always broke and he is a multi personality not a bipolar.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved