MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/08/2012 12:26 PM

Do all bipolar people have religious delusions?

bipolarsk8r

I've recently found out that religious delusions and thinking are common? I believe in God already, and when I go manic it's as if my faith amplifies 10x. Is this common with everyone? What if you don't believe in a higher power before the episode? Do you still rave about God like there's no tomorrow? These thoughts have been killing me lately, can anybody answer some of them. I'm just trying to better understand my story. thanks

03/08/2012 12:42 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

That's actually a common things among mania and psychosis in my opinion, not stating facts. I've heard a lot of people in that kind of episode get very religious and believe that God is talking to them and stuff like that. I'm unsure about someone that didn't believe in a higher power. That is a great question. How would they know to become religious if they weren't in the first place? Medications help this, usually an anti-psychotic. I hope this helps a little bit. It's only my opinion though, I'm not a doctor. I hope you feel better with this soon. Your psychiatrist can answer this question for you for sure. Welcome to the group! I hope you get as much out of it here as I do. I come here every single day and I love it.

03/08/2012 12:47 PM
bipolarsk8r

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I'm on an antipyschotic and it has kept the delusional thinking, pyschosis, and paranoia away for over 2 years now thankfully. It's just something I wonder about sometimes. I probably think too much.

03/08/2012 01:12 PM
basque
basque  

I was not raised religiously and have not "joined a team." I feel we are all a part of the rhythm of nature/life - and we can never truly know the full meaning of anything, so enjoy it.

At the peak of one of my early episodes, I announced at a party that I am god because I am the god of my own experience. It made (and still sort of does) sense at the time. I kept on about it, fervently trying to convince others of their own godliness. I think it was touching on psychosis. And again during my most recent episode, I excitedly told friends and family that I was feeling like the episodes are from god to teach me some abstract lesson.

After the episodes pass, I return to myself. I can't quote it or give reference - but I seem to remember hearing that there is a part of the brain that makes us have feelings of faith in something bigger. That it breaks down chemically. Anyone remember something along these lines being talked about?

Wow I'm writing a lot... Think I need to go meditate.

03/08/2012 01:13 PM
IDoNotKnow
IDoNotKnow  
VIP Member

I do not think all bipolar people have religious delusions.

03/08/2012 02:25 PM
Landelino
LandelinoPosts: 128

I don't think feeling more religious, or praying more often, etc. are something you should feel worried about. I think the religious manifestations of bipolar that are mentioned in diagnostic criteria are more a variety of grandiosity. For example, my bipolar (unmedicated)uncle once believed he was actually the Holy Spirit - and wrote a whole book about it - and sent it to the entire family - and anyone else whom he met. That's when you have to start worrying.

03/08/2012 02:49 PM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

Nope. Atheist. I'd probably go hug a tree. But not all people with bipolar go as far as to have this issue. I don't and never have.

Zadie

03/08/2012 03:06 PM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I guess you could call it religious, but I have had various periods of time when I thought the devil lived in my garage at night. I would refuse to go there at night. In the morning it was OK. One day I thought he was in the basement so I didn't go there. I had my husband go to the garage once to get me a soda. I didn't think the devil would appear for him.

I want to tell you something. When I was 15 years old I wanted to find God and Jesus so I went to many churches in my town and it was the Roman Catholic church in which I found God. I am a believer that everyone can find God in different places; different churches, mosque, synogogue, blades of grass, a gallon of ice cream. No back to my story. I am 40 years old and it has been 22 years since I went to mass. I decided to find God again last weekend and even went to a 6:45 am mass. I've compiled a list of 20 sins which I will present in confession, even though confession is only 30 minutes long. I guess I have to talk fast. I think I can do it.

03/08/2012 03:14 PM
bipolarsk8r

@ Cthebird. It's funny how I see myself in a lot of your story. I also believed the devil was out to get me. In my case it was my own mother who I thought became the devil, or was possessed by the devil. Not a good time. Another time I thought there were demons in my basement, but I went down there and started cursing at them,lol. Hitting walls and things. Yeah, I agree people can find God anywhere, he's not limited to a building. Thanks for the replies.

03/08/2012 03:32 PM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

i wonder from the past how many manic /depressives were excised , thought they were processed, what a way to go in those days, i went through the born again, i wanted to chase miracles,, just knew i could lay hands on people and they would be healed. but when i did not know , what manic was, when i came down again, it was god and awakening. to see the truth again, what a worldly thought.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved