MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/06/2012 10:45 PM

New to adderall for treatign bi-polar/depression

svgirl22

I have been diagnosed with bi-polar and its followers of anxiety and depression. I ended up going into an intensive out patient therapy program where I was originally and finally diagnosed. When in treatment I was prescribed limictal and was taking it regularly. The drug worked wonders and of coarse like many of us I felt so good I thought I could conqure my burdens on my own without the help of medication. I fell into the vicious cycle of depression but saw the warning signs before I became to far gone. I immediately went to my doctor and she put me back on the limictal. But the affects were not there. She increased my dosage and it worked but not as well as before. I started noticing that my concentration was slipping and it became a real annoyance. After a discussion with my doctor she tested me for ADD. I found out that I have a mild case of it and she then put me on the lowest dosage possible of adderall. I am now taking twice a day 5mg. I noticed the affects by day two. Today is day two. I have always had a phobia of medication that my doctor is well aware of, so starting me on the lowest dosage has always been our game plan.

My main concern is I am not used to the sensations i am feeling and wondering if they subside. I also would like to know and stories on how this drug has helped or hurt anyone taking it for depression. The fact that it is an upper is intimidating for me and would like to know more about it. Unfortunately there is not much on the internet.

Extremely thankful for any feedback.

SV

03/07/2012 07:25 AM
freeemysoul
freeemysoul  

I can answer this. I take Lamictal, Effexor and Amphetamine salts (Adderall generic). I have been diagnosed with anxiety/depression and bipolar II. I have taken this cocktail for a year and have felt like a normal human being. Like you, feeling normal and not liking to be reliant on meds, I took myself off Lamictal ("I'm not bi-polar!" - i told myself) Well about 2 1/2 weeks off Lamictal, I went into a hypomanic state and it scared me so much that i called my doctor immediately for the lamictal starter kit.

I will no longer remove myself from these medications because i feel normal because of them.

So to answer your question, i have found that the ADD medication helps with concentration as well as controlling my depression (giving me a boost of energy).

03/07/2012 07:58 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi, I take a stimulant also. I've never gone off my medications though and I never will as long as I have a choice in the matter. The stimulant keeps me focused, am able to concentrate, and keeps me awake. I don't have ADD though. I do need help though with the focus and concentration though and it helps. I hope the Lamictal continues to help you and that the Adderall doesn't put you into mania. Some bipolar can't take them because they can put you into mania. Good luck with your medications. You will learn a lot here as well as get a lot of support from understanding people. Welcome to the group!

03/07/2012 08:10 AM
Linda27
Linda27Posts: 227

I have been on 25mg of Adderall a day for the past year and a half. When I was first put on it, it sent me into a hypomanic state and that is when my doc suggested I that I had bipolar. It took a while to get tested (my pdoc doesn't do the testing, they have someone specifically for testing) and I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 rapid cycling.

The symptoms were always there but the adderall made them more severe. I'm not trying to scare you but just wanted you to be aware that adderall can throw you into hypomania so if you feel like you are starting to become manic talk your pdoc.

I have ADHD and it has been great for my concentration, controlling my impulses, being able to complete tasks, etc.

03/07/2012 08:53 AM
ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

Linda, I check the board via iPhone -- on such a small screen, your turtle pick looks like a banana! (It's okay, I like bananas).

Adderall: It makes me feel "normal". See below (not updated) I'm on a lot of meds for both psych and allergies (they're intermingled), and most of them produce drowsiness and fatigue. I've been on Ritalin and Dexadrine, but Adderall seems to work best. It keeps me awake, alert, and it does improve my concentration. I went 2 years out of the last 10 without any stimulant medications and my brain went into withdrawal, and I went into hibernation. I looked it up -- there is a term for this where your brain is deficient from . . . dopamine-related chemicals? I don't remember.

I just started up again on Adderall ER 15 mg twice a day. One thing I have to be very careful about (don't get any bad ideas here!): I have a history of ED -- restricting -- and stimulant medications take away my appetite. It's tempting to go days without eating. If you have an ED history and wanna be real about it, I wouldn't recommend stimulant meds . . . .

I hope it works out for you, although I sense that your Lamictal isn't working as well as before due to your mood state and is transitory -- maybe you won't need your Adderall in the future? I dunno.

I've always told my family that I wished they could sample 1/10th of my meds for a day and attempt to stay awake! Adderall helps me remain a functioning human being not just with my psych meds, but my allergy meds as well (it's like taking several doses of Benadryl at one time).

Zadie

03/07/2012 12:08 PM
svgirl22

Thank you everyone for the replies! I was completely floored to see that there was a response already let alone 3. Your comments have given me more ease of mind now that i have started adderall. I do help it will work because it is the only thing I am on now. I am truly grateful for the opinions and stories, it is so nice to have a group to talk to about this. No friends or family have this so I feel lonely a lot. But this just brightened my day! Thank u all and I look forward to chatting more Smile

03/07/2012 12:46 PM
Linda27
Linda27Posts: 227

Zadie - Thats hilarious that my turtle looks like a banana on your phone Smile

svgirl22 - I'm glad that you found the advice helpful and it eased your mind. It is helpful to know that you are not alone even though you wouldn't wish this condition on anyone. I know for me this group is my biggest form of support. I don't know anyone who has bp or maybe I do and they are stable and don't talk about it.

09/14/2012 03:21 PM
lori4443

I am on Effexor (generic) Adderal (generic), and Perphenaizine. I was extremely depressed and after my very first Adderal tablet I felt great. It was too good to be true. I could not believe it. I went from wanting to be dead to feeling good that fast. Today is the first day I took it so I'm hoping it lasts. I'm in shock and wondering if it is going to put me in a hypo-mania since I am bi-polar. All I know is this is one of the hugest reliefs I have ever felt.

07/31/2013 10:41 AM
pad

Hello,

I live in the Reading, Pa area. I have been unable to find a psychiatrist who will prescribe something like Adderall, or Provigil. Does anyone know of any psychiatrist near Reading, PA that would be open to this. I get exhausted from the other meds. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Post edited by: pad, at: 08/01/2013 05:31 AM

07/31/2013 08:41 PM
ImNotOlivia
ImNotOlivia  

I take Lamictal, Abilify, and Adderall. The adderall has definitely helped me focus, reduced my distractibility and now I can actually complete tasks at work. It also eliminated my restless leg syndrome. I never feel speedy from it. It's almost as if I'm not taking it at all most of the time. I have never had it turn me hypomanic, even when I take it alone without the other meds. In fact, if I dont take it, I'm pretty much narcoleptic, which is scarey. I struggled with that even before I started my other psych meds for bipolar. It has def improved my life. My pdoc prescribed it for ADHD not depression. However, she did comment once, when she was writing my scripts that she wasn't going to take me off of it because I was depressed. Makes me wonder if she would consider taking me off it if I was manic. Who knows. But I feel like its my life line. Even when I'm not having an episode of hypomania or depression, I struggle with ADHD-like symptoms. I guess thats why I have the dual dx.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved