MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/04/2012 08:53 PM

How Do I Motivate Myself?

jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3163

Gee have been doing nothing much for the past six days (been raining here for that long). Did manage to force myself to do the dishes and take out the rubbish and be sociable yesterday. Don't want to see anyone, don't want to go anywhere. Am depressed, bored and very angry!!!

Now my stupid printer is on the blink. It told me to fix up compartment E well I did, took a sheet of printing paper out where it was stuck and does it work now!!! No.

Then there is the sky light, which my friend was cleaning for me, and what happened? He found that two boards which run east to west which are level with the roof have all rotted away (the ceiling should not fall down). Curses. Heaven knows how much that will cost to get that fixed! Am involving son this time, he can engage a carptenter for me, and see that he does the work properly. I still pay of course.

Seems one thing gets fixed and two things break down!

Was/am going to buy an iphone 4s on Wednesday to cheer me up, son has one and it is great. I usually do this things myself, but am just not up to it. Now I think that the silly thing will not work for me. Sad

Has anyone any idea of something I can do to get myself motivated? Will force myself to see the tdoc to-morrow. Or what can I say to myself apart from being very angry with myself?

Jennywren

03/04/2012 08:56 PM
Bioe14

I don't know if it will work for you, but when I get really down and don't want to do anything, I focus on one thing at a time. I basically tell myself if I do this one thing, I can be done. And, once I complete it, I do it all over again. That way I don't get overwhelmed with everything that needs done. I only see one issue at a time. Do I do everything that needs done? Of course not. But, I do a lot more going one issue at at time, than seeing the whole pile of things stacking up and getting overwhelmed and doing nothing.

03/04/2012 10:07 PM
mem8156

I feel same way.Everytime I try to fix it I break somrthing else.Also lately I cannot motivate myself to do anything and I mean anything.Including coming on here to chat with my friends and my brother Bangbang.I ran out of socks and underwear today so here I am on the pittypot.I think it is time to get off it and just be real and stop drinking and playing Dr. It is not easy to say stop drinking or maybe it is I was told one day it is hard to stop but easy to stay sober.Drugs are not working for me at this time.I need to be very honest with them about this.A DRUG IS A DRUG BUT HUGS ARE BETTER THAN HUGS THEY SAY.

03/05/2012 06:53 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm so sorry about your skylight and your feelings of depression and lack of motivation. Those periods of trial are so dispiriting and hard to deal with.

I also suffer from lack of motivation for the basics. I struggle mightily. I probably sound like a freak for a timer for how many times I have posted about this but literally the only thing that works for me is to set a timer for 15 minutes or so and tackle the project, then 15 minutes off and so forth.

I sometimes have to use this method just to get into a shower.

My feeling is I can do anything for 15 minutes. It is a technique I learned from the Flylady.

My struggles are why I posted this thread, to inspire myself to get some things done:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/bipolar-support-forums/ lounge/3496695-procrastination

I wish you well in your endeavor to get motivated. Keep us posted on how things are going.

Post edited by: centerseeker, at: 03/05/2012 06:56 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved