MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/04/2012 07:59 PM

Week 2 med free & new career ...(page 2)

jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3166

Hi Two of Me, you know I always think how unfair it is when a person who is on meds, is discrimated against. Think we have the same silly rule here. ie on meds? Well the person is doing better (well they should be).

Glad that the work hours are going down a bit. That is good.

Those tarps sound a bit like hell. Good to, that you will not have to be handeling them now.

Pretty tough when you think about it, ie 14 hours (11 driving and 3 off/on loading ?) on and only 10 off inbetween. There is also the physical side of it, no time for a bit of exercise. Let alone the stress.

From what I have seen of the trucks in the US they are damned big things. A real feat to drive I reakon. Let alone some damned car stopping too fast. That happens here, some car drivers are quite mad in my view (well don't have a brain in their head) and do not allow enough time for the truck to draw to a stop. If the car driver does not get them selves killed, then a bit of jail time will teach them to stop slowly.

I guess there maybe a good side to being a truckie, there will always be work in the US. No truckies, no movement of food etc.

Keep on, and the very best wishes to you,

Jennywren

03/04/2012 08:03 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

God Bless you too Smile

03/05/2012 01:45 AM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

uncertainone; I know exactly what you are saying! I worked out in the field as a Journeyman Plumber for over 20 years before entering an office environment. A Mechanical Engineer, by education, I enjoyed being out-of-doors and working with my hands, viewing the finished product, better than being in an office. I only went back into the office when my body got to complaining ALL the time and was having to eat two different medications simply to make my hands and shoulders start working by noon time. It was only then that I decided I may be more suited for the office environment. Physically I was, but mentally I do NOT work well that environment. I hate being under the same roof with all those people day in and day out. Especially when dealing with the narcissistic executives that have an education but lack any common sense! That damn office job was the worst ten years of my 30+ year career! Auuuuuuugh! At my age, I am much more suited to being a truck driver, hence I do what I do.

Heading back out on the road this morning for another week of travel. Leaving the Olympia, WA, heading South for a delivery, East for a load, then up to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and back to the Olympia, WA region. The only thing I don't look forward to is chaining up in the bitter cold along the road side of a Canadian mountain.

Thank you for your vote of confidence and words of encouragement, they are my strength and my courage! My God, I simply want to move all my MDJ friends into my cul-de-sac so I would get to see them every weekend! I could even take them, one at a time, on a week road trip with me! What a hoot! Smile

03/05/2012 01:55 AM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

Jennywren; You are absolutely correct with the 4-wheelers not respecting the big rigs. There is next to nothing that someone owns, that never involved the transportation industry, yet they treat the trucker with the least respect of anyone. A study was done by a major university in the states that concluded if the trucking industry was shut down completely for a period of 24 hours, it would take the US economy over 7 years to recover from the damage caused by the lack of product transportation during that 24 hour period.

The truck I was in last week a 90 feet long, 100,000 pound, b-trian (double trailers). At 60mph it takes more than 100yards, more length than a football field, to stop the vehicle in a controlled manner. Do NOT pull over in front of that and hit the brakes! unless you have a death wish, that is.

In regards to the meds and driving a big rig, I somewhat understand the call. After all, with that much truck on the road, one MUST be at the top of his/her game at all times. I would be able to function on the cocktail I was on as there were no side affects what-so-ever. But if I was to have to try a different cocktail, I would only be able to do so while being off the road during a trial period. And in this industry, if the wheels aint' turnin', I aint' earnin'!

Post edited by: 2ofme, at: 03/05/2012 01:59 AM

03/05/2012 02:00 AM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

Thank you, Dit! You a Sweetie Pie! (((hugs)))

03/05/2012 03:32 PM
jennywren

Heavens to Betsy 2ofme.......90, yes 90feet long, same length of my land (house on)from back to front. Now 90feet is BIG. The hundred yards stopping is a lot. You would need to know well before hand just where you were going to stop. None of this business of stopping and hoping around a tree for mother nature's demands.

Is it possible to back the thing?

I certainly have to hand it to you driving the thing. Yes truckies should get a great deal more respect.

Our truckies did go on a strike for about 24 hours I think it was, while it caused some problems, it is nothing like what the effect would be in the states. Supermarkets got a little short of some things, but nothing particularly concerning.

Relying on trucks so much I can see a problem for the US as oil runs out, which of course it will in the end. Electric or gas powered trucks?

Happy motoring Cpt,

Jenny

03/08/2012 04:22 AM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

uncertainone: This week is much easier than last. I am now running the fleet that I was hired for and it doesn't require the 'tarp' work like last week, that removed the majority of the physical stress. There is still 'tie down' required, but I'm pulling a curtain van (like a standard semi-trailer, though has curtains down the sides instead of solid walls) Additionally, my runs are two to four days out, prior to having to deal with the curtains & tie-down. That removed much of the mental stress of running full speed ahead for 14 hours.

Trust me .... my eyes ARE on the road! My attitude is that every automobile on the road around me is someone's mother or father, brother or sister, husband or wife, son or daughter, cousin, niece or nephew, aunt or uncle .... a loved one. They deserve to be treated with no less care and concern as my own. End of conversation! That's the sign of a "Professional Commercial Truck Driver" in lieu of a just another "trucker"

03/08/2012 04:35 AM
2ofme
2ofme  
VIP Member

jennywren, Yes, Mam! That IS a long stopping distance. That's why following distance is so critical. I attempt to run with a minimum of 6 seconds between me and the vehicle in front of me. Or, at speeds 45 and above, 1 second per foot length of the truck/trailer, plus one second for speed over 45, another second for speed over 60, another second for poor road conditions. As you can see from that calculation, at 65 on wet roads for a 90' combination vehicle at 60mph on wet roads, vehicle separation is now at 12 seconds. It may look like to much distance, but in an emergency situation it's going to be real nice to have that much distance for a well controlled stopping or avoidance maneuver.

As for backing: With 'double trailers' it's extremely difficult. However, a 'B-train' is much easier than an 'A-train' and I was driving a b-train. I'm not experienced a backing that thing, though I did on three occasions. And, on the fourth ... total failure! Smile Oh well ... it's a learning thing.

03/08/2012 10:37 PM
jennywren

Ah..spoke to son a couple of days ago, re your big trucks. He said to tell you to do an internet search for Australian road trains. He says they carry sheep and cattle and consist of four trailers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_train#Australia

They do not as far as I can tell say how long they are,

Jennywren

03/08/2012 11:10 PM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

Yea, I don't like those road trains very much Jennywren when they come flying up behind me, or I need to overtake on a single lane road. Very very big but more nimble than I thought they would be Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved