MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/01/2012 06:20 PM

Bipolar & TEETH

sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Anybody else having problems with their teeth?

I think the real culprits are:

(1) Dry Mouth (from our bipolar medications)

(2) Poverty (being bipolar & unable to work)

(3) Dental hygiene (due to depression or mania)

(4) Possibly the medications themselves?

My story: Last night another crown bit the dust as I chewed a M&M candy. Jeez. Broke off right at the gum line - the worst place. Right next to another bottom tooth where the same thing happened about a year ago. Now I literally have no bottom teeth to stabilize the right side of my jaw when I chew because those were my tallest bottom teeth. Sigh. Unsure

I haven't been able to afford a dentist since I lost my health insurance after my divorce in 2007. By then I was already on disability. If I run my tongue along the left side of my mouth, I can taste fillings. When I eat sweets, it hurts in several places in my mouth. I am not telling you this to make you feel sorry for me; this is reality. Pre-bipolar meds, I had beautiful teeth. Pre-bipolar meds, I never had a mouth that was this dry. In my pre-bipolar days, I took better care of my teeth. Blush

I don't qualify for Medicaid and it's my understanding that Medicare doesn't pay for dental work. I'm going to check out whether or not any dental schools in the area take low-income patients. I'm going to take better care of my teeth. And I'm going to look on the bright side. We have 32 adult permanent teeth. At least I have 30 left. Dizzy

Post edited by: sarahtroy, at: 09/19/2013 07:32 AM

03/01/2012 06:27 PM
bfly
bfly  
VIP Member

I was gonna suggest the dental schools gig- I knew many individuals who qualified for such work. I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties- I do worry about dry mouth issues- so far so good- see the dentist again in April. Interesting post- and I agree with the reasons listed as to why many people with BP have dental issues.

03/01/2012 06:40 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The only problem is, I'm so embarrassed, I'd be afraid to open my mouth! Sick

03/01/2012 07:30 PM
mem2427

So sorry you are going through this. I was a dental assistant for 6 years and am back in school for it again right now. There are mission dentists usually in every state. Look up mission dentistry in your area and see if anything comes up. Please don't be embarrassed. What matters is you care about your teeth and going to see someone now will help you keep the ones you still have. Here if you have any questions just PM me.

03/01/2012 07:39 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry Sarah. I hope you find a way to get this taken care of.

03/01/2012 09:26 PM
Perseverance
Perseverance  

I had this problem sarah until 6 months ago when my mom drug me to a dentist... It took like 5 appointments, and alot of shame, but my mouth is finlly healthy....♥♥ I don't know if it was my meds, my ed, or my falling into depression & not getting out of bed for weeks at a time.... but something rotted my teath.....

03/01/2012 10:10 PM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

Although I don't have fillings or crowns my teeth started to turn sensitive when I was grinding my teeth in my sleep

03/01/2012 10:14 PM
Followme

OMGosh Sarah I to am sorry you are going thru this. Yet another issue of my ex bf who had issues with, his teeth, hated to smile, but they "looked" fine. But hadn't seen a dentist for upteen years and he HAS insurance. I never knew it correlated (sp?) but when I saw your post it struck me.

My sis in law is getting hers done now, 46, not bp but drugs, had almost every one pulled. She is a great person, just a bad life, poor health and eating habits. She had options but no insurance. Hence the pull every single one. :0( I have seen her the past several months, without teeth as she was getting her dentures molded and ya know, she is beautiful. Her outlook is good, and she states "hey, I'm alive" and in a much better place. Positive attitude, she feels better and the nasty bacteria not affecting her heart anymore, and pain gon changed her self esteem. Her first "trial" set, I cried and she did. Do what ya gotta do, leave the past behind.

Point. Yes it comes with territory, but always look at bright side. You can never, EVER go back.

03/02/2012 12:36 AM
iamnew2this
iamnew2this  

1. No.

2. Yes, but I'm not bipolar but do suffer from depression. For now I'm just focusing on school but even that is a struggle.

3. YES! Broke two already plus I grind them in my sleep. My poor teeth. Why you got to be so sensitive? But I went to this dentist and got them fix ( my dentist is really good-looking, so it was embarrassing have this handsome man looking at my ugly teeth). I even got braces. I had no money, so the dentist cut my bill in half. One appoinment I didn't even pay. He said it was a gift from the toothfairy. I couldn't thank him enough.

There are great people out there, which warm my heart. I couldn't pay him but maybe smiling more and making people smile and laugh more is maybe my way of paying it forward. Maybe one day I can help someone like he helped me.

4. I used to.

Glad you are going to take care of your teeth and don't be embarrassed to open your mouth. You still got 30, so take care of those and wish you the best and great health.

03/02/2012 06:08 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I have been grinding and pressing at my teeth during the day for about 4 or 5 years now. I never did it before bipolar meds. I've complained about it to my tdoc and pdoc and they don't really say anything except "Lots of people grind their teeth at night." How many efin times do I have to tell people I don't grind my teeth at night! The movements include contortions to my jaw/face that probably look ugly to people that catch me doing it. So far, I've chipped a molar and worn down 2 of my teeth. The dentist has also offered to set me up with a mouth guard thingy, but why on earth would I wear it during the daytime?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved