MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/29/2012 08:32 PM

Do you need caffeine to keep you going?(page 2)

centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I live on coffee. I tried to cut down but it didn't work.

03/01/2012 07:52 AM
freeemysoul
freeemysoul  

yes. I need to go to a 12 step program for my Starbucks addiction! Wink

03/01/2012 08:56 AM
queenbean
queenbean  

Yes I am also a caffeine-aholic. Can't live without my Coke. When I feel guilty, I'll have Diet Coke, but can't break the caffeine habit.

03/01/2012 09:06 AM
dugg
dugg  

absolutely count on caffeine in the morning, and buy quality beans to make sure it's good! it's a drug, it's a tool, but i try to keep a lid on it.

i have my two cups in the morning with the paper and checking in online and then for the rest of the day it's juice, water and the odd glass of chocolate milk.

03/01/2012 02:03 PM
mem2427

Glad to know that there are quite a few caffeine addicts out there. It really is an addiction. When my husband was still drinking, I went to a week long family program where we lived in. The only thing we had to provide for ourselves was our own soda. All of us and I mean all of us came in with our twelve packs or more of caffeinated soda. Mine was the Dew, of course.

The first thing that the counselor said to us in the intro was: "You are all addicts." He went on to explain that caffeine is as addictive as cocaine. Well, I'm such a good girl and try to follow rules so I didn't drink any of my Dew while there. Went cold turkey and really suffered with withdrawal headaches part of the week. I stayed off of caffeine for a long time after that. Then, just like an alcoholic, I told myself that one will be fine and I'm sure that most of you know how well that works.

This time, I have been doing my cutting back slowly. I've been putting hash marks on the calendar to keep track. Have gone down from 6 cans per day to two or even one. I can't stand the taste of diet so it will help with reducing my calories too.

Yesterday, I had only one can. My husband thinks I'm weird because I can nurse that can all day. I had the best sleep I've had in a long time last night. I felt rested when I got up and have a bit more energy.

hypnagogic, it's strange that the caffeine makes your migraines worse. Usually, one of the first things listed in over the counter migraine meds is caffeine. We all react differently.

A special warning for all Dew drinkers: A few weeks back, on the national news; they reported that Dew contained a flame retardant. What will keep me from spontaneously combusting now that I'm giving it up. LMFAO

Marge

03/01/2012 03:09 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3163

Dreamweaver: "but at 42, I'm not terribly worried!" (about getting pregnant)

Hum...have heard that one before Smile

Jennywren

03/03/2012 11:48 AM
mem2427

dreamerme2, I used to drink diet dr. pepper too. Didn't have to worry about that pregnancy thing. Husband already had a vasectomy and later, I had to have a hysterectomy so I'm doubly protected. I'm also on Lithium at bedtime.

03/03/2012 12:43 PM
Dit
Dit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Marge you've done well at cutting back on your Mountain Dew, i'm a Pepsi addict i drink 3 cans a day, i know its fattening and I need to reduce my soft drink intake, i also drink a few sparkling Lemonade in a can too so thats 5 pops a day. I need coffee in the morning, I was drinking 3 cups now i'm drinking 2, if i don't have any i'm unable to wake up.

03/03/2012 01:59 PM
IDoNotKnow
IDoNotKnow  
VIP Member

I am very sensitive to caffeine. I either drink decaf coffee in the morning or regular coffee in the morning. However, 90% of the time I only drink half of a cup or less. Coffee makes me wound when I am "elevated" like now. I also drink a little bottle of diet coke in the afternoon at work. This also sends in flying when I am "elevated" but I like the taste so I do it anyway. I really shouldn't consume any. When I am depressed it is perfect though and gets me going. I guess everyone is different. Is there anyone out there like me? I am very sensitive to caffeine.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved