MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/29/2012 02:13 PM

Do you need caffeine to keep you going?

mem2427

I've been a Mountain Dew junkie for about 25 years. Back before I even had my first diagnosed depression or had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I needed the caffeine to just keep me going. I was drinking a 12 pack a day somedays. My husband and I were live-in houseparents in a group home for delinquent boys. Needless to say a 24-7 job.

I tried lots of times to cut back and even stopped drinking it several times. I would always go back to it because as my mania (which I didn't really know was mania)slipped away and I needed to keep that feeling, I'd have to have it again.

Since my diagnosis with bipolar disorder, I have decreased the amount that I drink. I just want to stay on the up-side of the manic-depressive cycle.

Doesn't usually help but does give me some energy to complete some daily tasks.

In May, my regular doctor is doing one of those tests where they track your blood sugars for the past few months. My glucose level was up at my last appt. at the end of last year and she's afraid I might be diabetic. I have cut down to 1 or 2 cans per day now. I guess that is what is taking away my energy and messing up my sleep.

Any suggestions on how to get my energy level up without caffeine?

02/29/2012 03:22 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3167

Yes Ocdmd, I need caffine to get me going. Trouble is now addicted to it and get a good headache if I do not have any Sad

Jennywren

02/29/2012 03:28 PM
hypnagogic
hypnagogic  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I don't drink coffee - never have. Caffeine has 2 negative impacts on me. One, it only exacerbates my migraines. Second, it wires me and doesn't help when I'm manic. But, I still sneak a Dr. Pepper or a Mr. Pibb every great now and then.

02/29/2012 04:05 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think exercise is a good way to get some energy. Try doing that in the morning. It's worth a shot anyway. I'm sorry that your sugar levels were high. That's not good. I hope that they have gone down since you have cut down on the caffeine. You are being healthier if anything. Good job.

02/29/2012 04:51 PM
MBPRLY
MBPRLYPosts: 254
I'm an Advocate

I'm a caffeine junky, I drink coke, Red Bull, Amp and sometimes Monster and Rockstar. The lemon-aid Amp is tasty!! I try as hard as I can to not drink soda after 6, but I just crave it, so I try drinking sprite and even that, not after 10. But I'm up til between 2 and 5 and on bad insomnia nights, I won't sleep til mid day or that night, LATE. I have an espresso maker and drink that with a vanilla powder mix or a Venti white mocha with 4 shots of espresso.

Hi, I'm MBPRLY and I'm caffeineaholic :-P

OH, you might want to try Fuze. They are non-caffeinated, low in sugar and carbs and some of them are really good. When I'm on fat trimming cycle for training, I actually stop drinking soda and energy drinks and by Fuze by the case. It's not half bad.

Post edited by: MBPRLY, at: 02/29/2012 04:54 PM

02/29/2012 04:56 PM
mem2427

I too am a caffine junkie... I have probably two large travel mugs full of coffee in the morning and at least on diet soda ( my addiction is coke zero) one a good day. I try and stop any consumption of caffine after 3 in the afternoon. I have had trouble sleeping in the past and that is just to try and ensure I can fall asleep. I can't function on less than 6 hours and be healthy...

Post edited by: Kittylover, at: 02/29/2012 04:57 PM

Post edited by: Kittylover, at: 02/29/2012 05:32 PM

02/29/2012 05:30 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello, my name is Sarah and I'm a coffee-holic. My last cup was 3 seconds ago. Blink lol. Tongue

Seriously, my motor runs on black coffee and diet Pepsi. Sideways Doesn't interrupt my sleep. The only thing that effect my mood is not having it. W00t

02/29/2012 05:38 PM
lj80

PEPSI, Pepsi, PEPSI, pepsi and wayyyyy more pepsi. I've fought the pepsi battle for years and again I'm going to try to cut back and take it out but I looovveeee my pepsi....oh and chocolat.

Used to drink Redbull and alot of the others and took them out completely....it was like a laxative for me.

02/29/2012 06:26 PM
MBPRLY
MBPRLYPosts: 254
I'm an Advocate

"..it was like a laxative for me."

LMFAO..........

02/29/2012 08:10 PM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

coffee is a laxative for me and lately it makes me really sick, headaches and wanting to throw up.

red bull is ok tho

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved