MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2012 02:29 PM

depression

Gal101

Mydepression is very severe and all the ssri and snris meds ive been on have not helped and sent me manic.

Ive been on

Sertraline (zoloft)

Citalopram

Prozac (fluxotene)

Mirtzapine

Escitalopram none of them worked and just made me get diagnosed as Bipolar.

Im on 900mg of Sodium valproate now and it works only just and seroquel 100mg i need more but i dont know what to do for my depression. its getting to the stage where i dont want to be alive and im not trying to trigger anyone that is why i have been careful how to word that sentence. does anyone have any advice what other meds can i take for bipolar depression . is it true that the depression you get in bipolar is more severe than ordinary major depression? thanks

my depersonalisation is also getting really hard to manage

02/27/2012 03:11 PM
bob333
bob333  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hey gal, i know how u feel im drug resistant, the best drug for depression ive tried is lamotrigine n lithium. These meds will now become an option to u now ur diagnosis has changed from unipolar to bipolar. There r other things u can to improve ur mood ie talk to ppl how u r feeling so u dont feel alone, distract urself etc. Look at the link provided for some ideas http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/bipolar-and-pregnancy- discussions/general-support/3513845-distractions-to-cope- with-overwhelming-emotions#3513845

02/27/2012 03:40 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

To answer you question about depression in bipolar, the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria are the same as that used to diagnose an ordinary major depression. There is no research that I know of that identifies the diagnostic criteria in bipolars as quantitatively or qualitatively different than that found in a non-bipolar population. In other words, there is nothing that I know of that proves that bipolars have more or worse symptoms than non-bipolars during a severe major depression.

Some bipolars do not respond well to antidepressants and must be treated with mood stabilizers or antipsychotics or some combination thereof. My chronic severe depression is treated with 3 antidepressants, a mood stabilizer, an antipsychotic, a neuroleptic and other meds.

As to recommendations for your situation, I refer you to your psychiatrist. I am not a doctor and MDJ prohibits members from providing medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice. However, members may share their experiences as bipolar individuals with their diagnosis, treatment and professional medical advice they have received.

I wish you the very best and encourage you not to give up. Relief is possible.

02/27/2012 03:43 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

If you are not getting any better, I would really talk to your psychiatrist and get some changes or adjustments. Your depression sounds bad. I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I'm not a doctor, so I can't really tell you what medications would work, but there are a lot of options out there for you to try. I do hope that you can get some relief soon. Know that we are here to support you through this. Keep posting and we'll keep talking to you. Give your doctor a call and see what he can do for you. You shouldn't have to suffer.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved