MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/20/2012 12:05 AM

Feelings of impending sudden death.

Spooky
Spooky  

I have been having some terrible issues lately and wanted to know if anyone else expierienced this. Im ok for now. I wasnt earlier tho.. Massive panic attacks and anxiety were making me actually believe i was dying.. not the first time for that. All it usually takes is a feeling or sensation i havent felt before in the area of an organ and i get severe anxiety believing that an organ is failing and im about to die. Not all the time, just when im manic, and am already kinda having some anxiety issues. But anyway, i thought my liver was failing and my leg was dying. Like losing circulation and was going to become a dead limb. This after alot of relaxation breathing and a xanax, eventually i was able to clearly think and alot of the phantom pains went away, just the organ pain and leg pain remain. The organ pain was from a bladder issue, and the leg pain is from my ciatica nerve being pinched from my back injuries. Does anyone else have these problems? I had one time where i truly believed my heart stopped and i was going to die in seconds because i felt a sensation that could onlyy be described as what to me felt like my blood stopped moving. I had to get Princess to listen to my chest to convince me i wasnt actually about to die. And even then i still get it from time to time and need to check my pulse on my neck, or i still get convinced it stopped. Even tho i now know if your heart stops your dead instantly. Still need to check. Since then ive been getting these feelings about different parts of my body failing and i dont know how to get out of this cycle. Im so tired of the anxiety/panic attacks.

02/20/2012 03:23 AM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

How scary for you. Number one discuss this with your doctor. Two, you might try something to take your mind off of YOU. Maybe getting outside or having some activity that will make you focus on something else. I hope it gets better for you. Keep posting if that helps.

02/20/2012 05:09 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree with Norma. Definitely talk to your doctor about these feelings. There are medications for panic attacks. I take Ativan and it works very well. There are others you could try as well. And looking for activities to distract is also a good idea. It helps with labor pain, which is very severe, believe me. I was taught to concentrate on my breathing and it really did help draw my attention away from the pain to a certain extent. Get a complete physical to alleviate your concerns that your health is precarious and then do look for ways to distract yourself when these feelings crop up. I hope that helps some.

02/20/2012 05:25 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree so much with what uppity and Norma have said that I have nothing to add in the advice department. Just wanted to tell you that am sorry you are dealing with this and that I sincerely hope addressing your concerns with your doctor will bring you some relief.

02/20/2012 08:39 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry you are going through this. How terrible that you are having these feelings about your organs and everything. One night I thought my pulse was beating at 180 beats a minute and I had a severe panic attack and thought I was having a heart attack. It was very scary. I almost passed out. I can understand your panic in thinking something is wrong. Yes, be sure to tell your psychiatrist what is going on. I hope this can get under control soon. We're here for ya.

02/20/2012 03:21 PM
Spooky
Spooky  

Thank you all so much for your supportive comments and responses. It really has become a big problem for me lately... Ive told my Pdoc about it. He is so against narcodic medications. He told me straight away he doesnt believe in prescribing narcotic meds. So no Adivan or xanax or anything that actually works.. he keeps prescriibing me meds that just have side effects that help with certain problems. Like he prescribed me antidepressants because the side effect is drowziness, or the antihystamines he prescribed because there is a calming side effects, it sucks. I really do hate him. Just i change my Pdoc until this disability hearing is over..

02/20/2012 04:07 PM
Tropical24
Tropical24  

I can relate. In December I had a mixed episode and concurrently developed a severe case of panic disorder. I had panic attacks nearly constantly. My heart raced. I thought I was dying. I had depersonalization so bad I couldn't distinguish my own breath. That has been replaced by pains in my abdomen and back. I believe this is from stress, because the pain isn't present when I'm relaxed or distracted. Yet I still have a lot of anxiety that there's something wrong with me physically. This is in addition to my other two anxiety disorders.

02/20/2012 04:19 PM
lj80

anxiety can really cause some major concerns. The more anxiety you get, the more it'll feel like you are dying.

I've got a bad ciatic nerve in my back and that one will cause pain from your back to your toe and it can cause alot of weird sensation.

We have pain and when we talk to the doc they brush us off as just being needy or making things up. I had massive head aches and after a ton of test they found that the system that moves the liquid in the brain was bigger than normal but the description ended there. It wasn't till I was in the hospital on my back that I got them to open my file and found that I had Chiari Malformation and Chiro practors are a big no no....I went to see one every two weeks. They could have told me. Chiro+Chiari= severe neck pain and head aches.

Basically my trick to all of it is to find something to change my thoughts and to keep my mind off of the issue at hand. Get busy and I know it's easy to say.

Sorry to hear about your doc being a little off. Around here we have no choice in the matter, you get what you got. Good luck and hope you feel better.

P.S. If your heart stops, you won't know it. I lay there sometimes and get "off beats" and it feels like my heart jumps a few beats....drive me crazy and scares the crap out of me.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved