MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/01/2009 06:29 PM

Any parents of young Children out there?

itsjustme

I have two young children 2.5 years old and 4.5 years old.

I was just wondering how you manage your days and what helps you to get through them, especially if you stay at home with them.

Sometimes my days seem so very very long that I can't wait for bed time, well okay mostly every day.

Sleeping in is also not an option and this sets me off and makes me crabby.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there with young demanding children who drain you emotionaly and how do you deal with it and if you have any tips.

02/01/2009 08:18 PM
norma
normaPosts: 10109
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have raised two children, honey. They aren't young anymore, they are both in their twenties. I can well remember the years when they were the ages your children are now...mine are 2-1/2 yrs apart. My oldest didn't take a nap...if I tried to take a nap she would escape out of the room. So naps were few and far between...

I got through it by doing a lot of things with them. I read to them a lot. We would have a picnic for lunch when the weather was nice and they would help me pack our lunch. Something simple like apples and cheese..sit out on the lawn.

Or we would make a club house in the living room out of a blanket and read in there...guess I liked playing with them a lot. I miss those days...

02/02/2009 01:44 AM
linkydoo
linkydoo  

I have two little ones. Two boys 3.5 and 5.5 It is very draining. I am not really sure what I would give you for advise because I am still trying to figure it out for myself. Finding the right meds was a big issue for me and I just take it one day at a time and try to keep my priorities straight. Don't get me wrong I do still have bad days but nothing like it was before. PM me anytime I am here for you.

Linky

02/02/2009 03:01 AM
Defiantgroundhog
DefiantgroundhogPosts: 568

I only have one son. He's eight now so there's a huge difference between us. Like Norma I remember the younger days. I know playing with them is easier said then done especially when you aren't feeling good. I found a lot of it was getting into a different mind set. I had a mother tell me one day it's like being in a big play pen. I liked that idea and I tried to look at it like that. Of course that didn't always work. Also you have to remember that they only stay little for so long. It goes by so fast!

Kids love to get messy so lots of stuff in your kitchen can go a long way. Put out a blanket and fill a big bowl with dry rice and/or beans. Throw in cups, bowls and spoons and the fun could last for an hour. Finger painting with chocolate pudding is always fun too. One that always went over well was taking coffee filters the big white ones and then you color squiglees and lines all over them with markers. Fold them in a tight cone then dip the tip in water. The kids can watch the water climb up the filter and drag the colors with it. Open it up and let it dry then you can hang them in the window or just stick'em on the fridge. Hiding something in the house and have them look for it while you help saying hot or cold. Anyway there's a few things to add to the thread. I'm sure you and other mothers have ideas too.

Make sure hubby's giving you some alone time when he gets home it's important. Go out with friends once a week to get some adult conversation. Good luck and try to enjoy these precious days.

02/02/2009 06:13 AM
debiski
debiski  
VIP Member

My kids are all grown, but I babysit for my three year old granddaughter. Lucky for me she is pretty independent, which I assume she gets from being raised by a single parent.

There are many days when I don't feel like doing anything. On those days I have her come into my room and watch tv while I sit at my computer. We talk and I give her different activities to do on my bed, but I'm not really pressured to "play" constantly.

Nap time is always heaven. Two hours of nothing works with me! Many times I will lay down with her and take a nap too. Always a welcome thing. Smile

02/02/2009 04:10 PM
itsjustme

Thank you for the replies!

I do do a lot of things with my kids but not neccesarily quolity time things. My son goes to preschool 3 mornings a week and he is in 2 activities as well. I do a parent involved preschool morning with my duaghter 1x a week and also do a music and swimming class with her. But when we are home I have no desire to play with them and I feel like shit because of it.

Yesterday I did sit down and play Lego with my son and puzzles with my daughter but I have to say it is very hard for me.

I am an educated person, I know that if I spend time with my kids they wil be less demanding, I know this but it still comes hard for me.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved