MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/12/2012 11:31 PM

Personality Disorder - Any Good Meds?

jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3163

Hi, I am sorry that this is off topic. But looking at the Personality Forum. I doubt if I would get an answer.

I think that some of us here have a type of Personality Disorder. Just read a report from a pdoc I saw about 6 years ago who says I have Personality Disorder.

She may just be right. Mind you my current pdoc of four years has not mentioned it.

Anyway am wondering if there is any meds for it?

Tar,

Jennywren

02/13/2012 12:37 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I don't believe there is medications for personality disorders. I think DBT works to help it. That's what borderline personality affected people use a lot. I could be wrong on the medications, but I don't think that there are any. You could ask your psychiatrist. He'd know for sure.

02/13/2012 12:45 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

It is my understanding, based on reading, that personality disorders are treated with psychotherapy. Longer-term psychotherapy used to be the standard treatment. But now the behavioral therapies have gotten into the act. You will want to check with your own doctor for a recommended course of treatment.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved