MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2012 09:24 AM

what is one of the most successful meds

pinkrose62
pinkrose62Posts: 8

What is one of the most successful meds for Bi-polar II disorder?

02/11/2012 09:31 AM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi pinkrose62, Wishing you a warm welcome to MDJ. This is a very supportive, encouraging and informative group. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to contact me or any other group leader via private message (PM) so we can help.

To answer your question, the gold standard for treating Bipolar in general is Lithium. As far as the treatment of Bipolar II, I am not a doctor and cannot say what the most successful med is, but I know a lot of members here are on Lamictal.

To be sure, the most successful med will be the one that works for you, and that is highly individualistic.

Post edited by: sarahtroy, at: 02/11/2012 09:38 AM

02/11/2012 11:19 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I take lithium and lamictal (lamotrigine generic). I believe that lithium saved my life. A lot of people take seroquel too, but it can cause weight gain and fatigue.

02/11/2012 11:30 AM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

Abilify, an antipsychotic drug -- $4.6 billion

Seroquel, an antipsychotic drug -- $4.4 billion,

most sold mood drug

most drug

Hydrocodone (combined with acetaminophen) -- 131.2 million prescriptions

Post edited by: lken, at: 02/11/2012 11:31 AM

02/11/2012 12:14 PM
lken
lken  
VIP Member

thanks for setting be straight, i do reach out without finding all the facts, but i did read once somewhere, that lithium is natural occurring in some water supplies, i think it was elpaso, or they wanted to add it to it, see how about tricks of the mind, anyway, guess it is needed in juanez now.

02/11/2012 02:47 PM
lj80

lamictal and seroquel work great for me. Seroquel made me look like a blimp the first time but I'm working real hard to try to avoid that this time. I worked real hard to loose the weight....it ain't going back on.

lithium is probably the answer, it's a very old drug. My doc has tried to stay away from it for now.

02/11/2012 03:08 PM
1mtx1

seroquel cuzed me to gain weight and i would wake up eating on nights i could fall asleep. im on lithium im bout to have it raised out of this world . well for me lol

02/11/2012 03:52 PM
pinkrose62
pinkrose62Posts: 8

thank you all for the feedback. I am not new to Bi-polar II, but new. I have had to face the fact that I have it. I look back on my family history, and what just happened to me. For 38 years I lived a sober life, but was dysfunctional. I was diagnosed 14 years ago with it. Then I married a guy who knows my childhood history. He thought it might just me my childhood. Well I thought I would buy that. But for 10 years we were drinkers. we tapered off, and then quit. I then have gone back to feeling like I used too. It has been 13 days since I went into I call a mixed state. I have had alot of stressors, and then a trigger of abandonment. I am taking sertraline, and benadryl for anxiety. I look back and see a decline in myself, that had been happening for along time. I now am easily to tears, and the benadryl makes me very sleepy. Iused to work in behavior in a hospital, we would give benadryl for anxiety and it really works. But I am not sure I have ever been in a non depressed state. when it is not bad, I still seem to have a low grade depression. I have a hard time keeping jobs, get paranoid in relationships when in a bad state, I trust no one at those times. I do not have insurance so lithium and blood monitoring is something i do not want to have to do. Is there any kind of mood stabilizer that the blood does not have to be monitored?

02/11/2012 04:10 PM
1mtx1

im sorry i can only think of lithum and i know they check your blood. hmmm

02/11/2012 04:19 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

lamictal/Lamotrigine works well for me. It also helps with depression. I don't have to have blood tests taken at all. You may want to look into that one. I'm sorry you are struggling so much. It's great though that you are not drinking anymore. I hope you find something that works for you and you get to feeling better soon.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved