New here and struggling...

gumbyj

Post edited by: gumbyj, at: 11/19/2012 08:21 AM

Post edited by: gumbyj, at: 11/19/2012 08:22 AM

02/09/2012 11:08 AM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6811
Group Leader

Welcome to the group, gumbyj. You're not alone. You have all of us.

This is a warm, welcoming group. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here. Please free to PM me or any other group leader.

You're doing the right things. You have made an appointment with your pdoc and that's great. In the meantime, do you think you could call him/her and ask for a medicine to help you sleep? In my personal experience, not sleeping makes everything so much worse. It makes me more emotional and everything looks darker when I'm sleep deprived.

I hope you can get an appointment very soon. In the meantime, keep posting and talking to us. We care.

02/09/2012 11:18 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am truly sorry for your suffering. I am glad you have an appointment with your pdoc. Too bad it is so far away. As Catbaloo said, in the meantime feel free to post here. Their is a great deal of understanding for you.

I never did the cutting but I understand the cheating when you don't want to be that person and it is an awful feeling. It's like you are someone else. Please try not to hurt yourself. I understand this is hollow sounding advice from someone who has never had the urge to cut but you are very much in my thoughts on this.

02/09/2012 02:36 PM
WishingHeart
WishingHeart  

Hugs to you!! Please do not hurt yourself. And be sure to discuss all this with the pdoc. I genuinely believe with all my heart that this can be fixed with the appropriate care and patience. Ask your doc to quiz you for bipolar and if that is the case he/she can help you find the right medications to help alleviate your symptoms and make life more manageable. Best of luck to you!

02/09/2012 04:07 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi, gumbyj. Welcome to the group. We are glad you found us. I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much pain right now. It sounds like the sexual encounters, drinking and cutting have been your attempts to get some relief from the pain. I encourage you not to be so hard on yourself and not to let your feelings over the past cheating consume you. Please understand that you are very ill right now and approach yourself with compassion.

I strongly encourage you not to drink alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant which will only intensify your feelings of depression and sadness. Drinking until you pass out will affect your concentration the next day and likely contribute to feelings of isolation. For support and encouragement, you may want to visit MDJ's Bipolar's dealing with alcoholism support group. Here is the link:

http://www.mdjunction.com/bipolars-dealing-with-alcoholism

For someone to talk to, now might be a good time to start individual therapy. Other ideas are to make use of local crisis hotlines. I am also going to give you the National Suicide Prevention Hotline number - it's 1-800-273-8255. Please don't be alarmed - I understand that you are NOT saying you are suicidal, but perhaps they can refer you to other crisis/talk hotlines in your area. And, finally, like the others, I encourage you to post here as often as you like. I wish you the very best.

Post edited by: sarahtroy, at: 02/09/2012 04:09 PM

02/09/2012 05:22 PM
uncertainone

Hi gumbyj,

Sorry that you are struggling. Is there any way your p-doc can see you earlier? It might help if you got a tdoc (therapist) so that you have someone to talk to and can help monitor your symptoms.

Best of luck, Maria

02/09/2012 06:31 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

You are having such a hard time right now and I am so sorry that you are going through this. It sounds like you've got a touch of mania going on, but I'm no doctor. It's good that you are trying to get in with a psychiatrist. It sounds like you need one now, not later. Can you call and see if they can get you in any sooner? I take an anti-psychotic that controls my hypo-mania very well. You may need one of these. Lamictal is good for depression. When I was weaned down awhile ago, I became depressed. We went back up after that. I hope that you can get some relief very soon. We will be here to help you through this tough time in your life. Be sure to communicate with your boyfriend. The cheating, well, try your hardest to not do that. I know it's a hard task, but it can be done. Bipolar people do restrain even though it's very hard to do. I really hope you like it here. I'm happy you joined. You will see a lot of support coming your way. Welcome to the group!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved