MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/08/2012 06:19 PM

my best friend is manic

cetacean
cetacean  

thank god I found you guysTongue My best friend has been manic for months. Labor day weekend I was still her best friend by that tuesday she was to popular for me and ever since I have been on a roller coaster ride. Being very new to bi polar I dove into books and web sites any thing that would give me a new perspective on what was going on and maybe how to cope. Im no longer confused or even angry or sad for that matter. Now I just want my friend back.before labor day she had expressed she was afraid Id leave I promised I wouldn't I have made that promise twice and fully intend to keep it. The problem is this episode she lives alone which she had not before and she has a gun in the house with bullets that she now knows how to shoot. she has pushed me away and the friends she does currently keep dont seem to want to know anything about it their pot and alcohol and the good times seem to be all that matter. Ive tried to get there help and pretty much was told to go to hell, I called a family friend of hers to see if maybe he could borrow the gun from her with out making a big deal out of it just so its out of the house well he told her and now she is really mad at me. Im scared, scared of the situation scared of the gun being there and how deep her depression may go, I fear I may never see my dear friend again whom I miss so much, I fear that when she does recover she will hate me so much we never speak again. can someone help guide my way on this? she's my best friend and I love her so much

02/08/2012 07:48 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

You are staying true to your word. You are a great friend for doing all the research and not letting her drift away. You are keeping your promise. It's not good that she has a gun, I agree. Her friends sound like they are just in the friendship to party. Usually in depression bipolar people are more willing to get help when they are depressed. In mania, they tend to not want the help and think they are fine. I would hope that she would see all that you have done for her when she comes out of this and not be mad at you. She was afraid you'd leave and you aren't, so that is something she would think about. True friends stick by their friend's side. I think you are going to have to let this ride out. If she threatens to hurt herself or someone else she can be involuntarily admitted, but other than that, she's going to have to get the help on her own. I'm really sorry your best friend is suffering. I hope she come out of this soon. You will learn a lot here and you will get supported a lot. I hope things clear up soon. We will be here for you through this. Welcome to the group!

02/09/2012 10:11 AM
cetacean
cetacean  

thank you so much for the support, Ive needed it for a while. Ive explained my fears to her and gave her the one bi polar book that i had and asked her to please take care of herself. I know i didnt help her emotions at the moment but im hoping maybe she will maybe take better care of herself

02/09/2012 12:19 PM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You are a good friend. I hope she seeks help. It is hard when someone we love is hurting and in danger and they won't listen. We're here for you.

02/10/2012 12:51 AM
cetacean
cetacean  

it feels so good knowing that i have support in this, ive often alone and guilty like i was doing something wrong. thank you all

02/10/2012 05:54 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry your friend is caught up in this episode and that you are left hurting. What a good friend you are. I can understand your worry over the gun and what a stupid thing for that guy to do by telling her your plan. Hopefully, she will come to see that you meant well out of concern for her.

As Joy said, she has to seek help on her own and usually people are more willing to seek it when they have crashed, which she will. This mania will end.

You are doing the right things. Learning about bipolar and reaching out to her are the best you can possibly do for now. What a great friend you really are.

02/10/2012 06:37 PM
cetacean
cetacean  

thank you its nice to know all my worry and stress may pay off. Does anyone know, If i had backed off or left like Ive been told by so many who think its a matter of self respect would she see it as asked for space or that Ive just abandoned her. will she remember that much? I read that the memory gets kind of blurred is that true?

02/12/2012 05:00 PM
cetacean
cetacean  

I pray that god keeps you safe, not only from judgements of those who don't want to try to understand but also from the harm you could do to yourself. I ask that god gives you the strength to endure yet another day. I ask that god brings you peace of mind, so your recovery may be swift. I ask god to show you the love your family and friends have for you in hopes you wont feel alone. I ask god, for my own selfish reasons to bring back my friend whom I love so much, I ask to have faith that I will see your beautiful smile and feel the warmth of your friendship once again. I ask that as long as you are by my side you will feel the lasting friendship between us, that some of your fears of loss subside. I ask these things in the name of our lord, Jesus Christ. Amen

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved