MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/30/2009 02:08 PM

Friends

bluezeroviz
bluezeroviz  

I have found over the last 20 years of BP that making friends and keeping them is a huge challenge.

With this type of disease we don`t normally pick up on verbal or gestures other people might get. Socially inept we are. We can be friends with each other; that`s our commonality.

I`m no psychotherapist, however have seen them many times.Everyone of them says that people with BP are double minded in a way. Wanting to be around people, yet wanting to be alone.

We get overloaded with stimuli, then have to escape to our safe zones to calm down. I`m that way. I can talk to anyone. Start a conversation with a total stranger.At times I don`t want to be involved with anyone, yet feel alone. I hate that! Anyone relate?

01/30/2009 02:18 PM
bluezeroviz
bluezeroviz  

When the going gets to be unbearable, how many people in ur life are there to catch you when you fall? I`ve found that many people want to be in low maintenance relationships.As long as all is well they are there; until???

I`ve experienced that many times and it crushes you. I`ve resented non-BP people for a long time, generally speaking of course.

HighFunctioning is what my doctors say. A name to them; a life to me.

I don`t ponder the bi-polar thing alot, howeverI seem to have a knack, or ability to see right through people. I`m alone most of the time; I love and hate it at the same time! I love this site because I believe here we can actually be friends in time. Real friends with no guilt or regrets. We`re the same. Understanding is always there.

01/30/2009 02:27 PM
srcrazygirl
srcrazygirl  

I couldn't have said it better myself...oh wait I didn't. One thing I do know is that I am great at putting on my normal face in public and my sense of humor is what gets me through. The second I can get away I hole myself up in the house and stay put with the computer, t.v., and the dog.

01/30/2009 02:34 PM
bluezeroviz
bluezeroviz  

Me too. I love and hate it. An unreal paradox, to be afflicted with isn`t it.

I try to concentrate on my innate abilities. Abilities most people go to school for; 6 years or so.LOL

I was born with it. Everyone of us has something to offer. I`m a designer and engineer. Who knew.

If we take the focus off the BP then we are free to discover hidden treasures we didn`t know existed within ourselves. It`s a blessing to someone, somewhere.

01/30/2009 03:15 PM
menmymania
menmymaniaPosts: 241

Couldn't get through it without finding laughs in almost everything. Sometimes not appropriate but I still laugh inside. Life is ridiculous sometimes and it's far too easy in this struggle to throw in the towel, but there really is a lot of good, a lot of different ways to look at something.

Friends, come and go and only a very few stay, that's no matter who you are. Having BP does not make you unstable in relationships believe it or not the BP is unstable, end of story and yes, we all want a bat cave sometimes to hide out.

01/30/2009 03:35 PM
bluezeroviz
bluezeroviz  

u have the BP. No samantics. It is what it is;and it will control you if u let it.

01/30/2009 03:50 PM
Flaco73
Flaco73  

Most of my friends are those that i play music with, and those that are related to them. I often think, most of them have more of a use for my talent, than me.

01/31/2009 12:54 AM
kazoo
kazoo  

I can relate with this subject A LOT! I am great at meeting people, people think I have a great sense of humor, we all make plans to do something, and WHAM... I instantly want to break those plans for some reason. I'm totally unreliable when it comes to keeping plans. (lunch dates and stuff. Anything serious I am really dependable) I love to be alone but then I get lonely. I love to meet new people but then I can't wait to get away from them. I'm learning to accept the ups and downs and try to just go with it but sometimes I have to admit the BP gets the better of me and I feel I've lost the battle. I get exhausted dealing with it everyday.

01/31/2009 06:38 AM
bluezeroviz
bluezeroviz  

I have learned to laugh at those kinds of experiences. My ex loves to mess with my head and use it against me!

It`s a game for some, however I blow it off and ignore those kinds of things. If we let every little event toss us around then we`re in trouble.

Let it go, and learn to laugh.

01/31/2009 07:54 AM
menmymania
menmymaniaPosts: 241

semantics... it is what it is I get that however when the meds work, especially in children, it's like what illness? You can see the child again...just my experience with pp taking meds/therapies (not always of course) but that amazing things can happen, simply AMAZING with predictable or no symptoms. It's just my experience to separate the person from the illness, I wish it were never the two shall meet, but I know better they do co-exist but they're not one in the same to me. (Person, Emotions/Personality, BP Disorder, Symptoms/Behavioral changes)

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved