MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/04/2012 07:39 AM

Guilt over sleeping too much

ZadieBlue
ZadieBluePosts: 4547
VIP Member

I enjoy sleeping. I especially enjoy naps taken during the day with my dogs. Sometimes I'll use a prn to induce sleep. The problem is that there's a voice in my head telling me that I'm wasting my life, that I'm only young once, and that I'm taking my life for granted. If I weren't sleeping, I can't say I'd be doing anything spectacular. And yes I know I'm escaping reality -- I call it "le petit mort" meaning "the little death" jokingly to myself. I'm not "supposed" to behave this way, and if I got cancer tomorrow I'd be SO mad at myself. I don't know how to fix my life (God knows I've tried) so these naps happen maybe four times a week. My dog starts licking my face after a few hours to make sure I'm not dead (or because he misses me?). Dogs don't feel guilty for napping. I feel guilty.

Zadie

02/04/2012 07:53 AM
youngfilly
youngfilly  
VIP Member

Why? Nanna naps are the best!!!!

if you are tired then have a nap, there are many people out there who would love the opportunity to nap so enjoy it Smile

If you are worried you are wasting your life then find some fun things to do during your awake hours.

I say enjoy the naps without the guilt Smile

02/04/2012 07:54 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have the opposite problem when it comes to sleep, but I know you have a lot of health issues and some of the unmedicated sleep may stem from that. Perhaps it is as you said the fact that you have nothing else going on, but I wouldn't feel guilty about that. I know that at this time you don't have anyone to pal around with. Maybe looking for volunteer work would get you out of the house and be a good way to meet people. There are all kinds of possibilities for that. Perhaps you are still depressed?

02/04/2012 07:58 AM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Zadie, I can sleep 10hrs on a normal day and turn around and take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. I have no motivation and I waste my day too. I do have a pt job and that keeps me from isolating too much. I like my job, but at the same time I resent having to get up and miss my sleep. I know exactly how you feel.

02/04/2012 07:59 AM
ZadieBlue
VIP Member

Wow, yeah, let me rephrase: I'm guilty that I'm "tired" all the time.

~ Z

02/04/2012 08:01 AM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

Ok, I understand.

02/04/2012 08:04 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Fatigue can be a lingering symptom of depression. I sleep a lot and lay around a lot too.

02/04/2012 08:53 AM
ZadieBlue
VIP Member

I'm on Dexedrine! And I've been on -- count 'em -- 40 other meds including all the antidepressants. I'm on Prozac, the gold standard for me. I have so much inner anxiety I get worn out so quickly. It won't go away!!! It paralyzes me so that the smallest of acts become a great deal. Feels hopeless.

02/04/2012 09:51 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

While I was depressed, I slept my days away. I felt I was sleeping my life away also. I don't do much though and when I get bored, I go to sleep. Still do that. I take Dexedrine also, but I can take my afternoon dose and go right to sleep. It's weird. I think if you find something to do to occupy your time, you will not sleep so much. I know it's that you like to sleep. I feel guilty when I sleep too much also. Make yourself get up and do something so you don't feel guilty. Do you exercise? Pilates is great. Tones you and gives you something to do.

02/04/2012 09:55 AM
centerseeker
centerseeker  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hopelessness is an awful feeling. I'm sorry that you are feeling paralyzed by even small acts.

(((((Zadie))) (with an extra squeeze)

It's pretty hard to resist napping with dogs though. Mine are always Doggie voodooing me into one.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved