MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/31/2012 07:07 PM

Bipolar Girlfriend.

Marko6559

Hello and thanks for having me in this group. It is so ironic to hear and read how close and resemblence my girlfriend bipolar issues are the same as everyone elses. I just wish I could do something to help her , she has gotten to the point she does not take her meds. We had a great releationship Before she stop taking meds. Now she is unbearable to be around . She is always mad at me. And getting worse. I love her so much and do not want to loose her. Thanks for any advice.

01/31/2012 08:02 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Marco. She needs to get to a psychiatrist and get back on medications. They were obviously helping her before. It sounds like she is mean. I used to be mean before my anti-psychotic was added. Have you told her how you feel about how she treats you? I would definitely have a talk with her. You can't make someone take their medications though. That's the hard part. Trying to talk her into it could be hard, but it's worth a shot. We aren't always ourselves when off medications. We have to have them along with therapy most times to stay stable. I don't really have any other ideas other than tell her exactly how you are feeling due to her treatment. Point it out to her. Maybe she doesn't even think she's being mean. I hope that she will come to her senses soon. An ultimatum might work, but that's leaving her an open door to leave also. I hope you get this figured out and she goes back on her medications. It's very important that she does this. Welcome to the group!

01/31/2012 08:20 PM
Marko6559

Thanks. I have tried everything to try to get her to take her meds again she just keeps saying she is ok and does not need or want to take them. She spends money and buys so much she does not need and blames me for getting her into debt and every other problems in her life. She has already cheated on me. Though I still love her. I just am hopeless. Thanks again.

01/31/2012 09:18 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Wow, you really have put up with a lot. She isn't okay. The sad part is that some people don't know what they are doing to people. When I am hypo-manic, I get angry, have racing thoughts, and irritable. I have bipolar type 2. You are not to blame of course for her debt. If she won't get help though, how long are going to live like this? The best time for her to get help is when she is depressed. I'm sorry she has cheated on you. Some bipolar people suffer from hyper-sexuality. Could be the case with your girlfriend. Or not, I'm not a doctor. I know you still love her. I hope that she comes around. It just sucks because you are getting all the abuse. Hang in there. You have us to support you. You also might want to join the spouses in active relationship group too. They will give you a perspective from dealing with a bipolar spouse. Here is the link:

http://www.mdjunction.com/spouses-of-bipolar-in-active- relationships

02/01/2012 05:14 PM
Marko6559

Thank you so much for replying. Wow it is really hard . Now my girlfriend has started drinking and it coming home because she is to drunk to drive home. She says she is helping a guy friend out by cleaning. But this guy is a alcholoic and just influencing her to drink as we'll. I am devestated. I am so lonely. I do still care for her very much. And I just need someone to talk too. I am going out on a limb here by putting my cell on here ,I just need to here from someone 478 457 5664. I myself feel like I am going crazy by dealing with her being bipolar. Thanks

02/01/2012 05:15 PM
Marko6559

478 457 5664

02/01/2012 05:21 PM
Catbaloo
CatbalooPosts: 6811
Group Leader

Please read invisiblenyc's post again. He is giving you some good information and advice.

02/01/2012 08:17 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

It's not good that she is drinking. That can make you more depressed. She really shouldn't be around an alcoholic trying to get her to drink. I'm sorry you are so lonely and I know you care for her. How much can you take though. You don't want to let her destroy you and make you miserable. You have to look out for your mental health also. I hope that she comes to her senses and gets back on the medications. This is really hurting you and you don't deserve that.

02/02/2012 07:36 AM
Marko6559

That is so true. Thank you so much.

02/02/2012 08:00 AM
jenny1978
jenny1978  
VIP Member

Marko6559,

I hate that you are going through all of this. I was diagnosed bipolar in 2005 and then about two and a half or three weeks ago, the drs agreed with me on the fact that I had been misdiagnosed. I do however suffer from depression, but haven't been depressed in a long time. I have anxiety issues and suffer from ADHD. So they diagnosed me when I was coming off of a lot of pain pills that I was abusing. So that, coupled with depression, anxiety and adhd, was not a good mix. I did emotional abuse my girlfriend that I was with at that time. Then the meds they put me on actually made me have symptoms of bipolar episodes. Anyway, she is an awesome person and after I got my act together I did apologize a million times to her, but I did emotional abuse her and afterwards I felt awful for it. I only cared about what I wanted and I didn't think about her feelings at all. I broke up with her like ten times back to back and then would beg her to be with me again. I finally ended it. I later apologized and we are now able to be friends again. So the reason behind that story is that I understand what's going on. I also have been in a relationship more recently with someone with mental illness that was not medicated. I suffered from a lot of emotional abuse. Please take the above advice because emotional abuse will get you down and you don't deserve to be depressed due to ehr actions. I know that you love her. I understand that, but you are risking your well being, safety and all that. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but maybe you should take some time away from each other and be apart for awhile and see how that works out. You do not deserve to be the victim here. You really should separt atleast until she decides to get medicated and get stable. You are putting yourself at risk. And like I said, all of this that I am telling you is form personal experience and is my opinion. I just want you to do what is best for YOU! I am here for you any time you need to talk. You can post here or you can send me a PM any time that you need or want to talk. Keep us updated.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved