MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/22/2012 06:38 AM

Need Help Please

Denae

No need to elaborate on my life story or anything here at this time, but perhaps I will another. I just really need help right now.

I have been struggling since I was about 12/13 years old only increasingly getting worse it seems, and finally after giving birth to my son (now 16 months old) at the age of 19 and after some pretty traumatic events caused me to become slightly (okay very) psychotic, even having awful thoughts of suicide and homicide I found an out patient clinic that accepted my medicaid program and went in for eval.

They seemed to think, though not "officially" diagnose me with a form of rapid cycling bi polar along with possibly some other "issues" just based on the eval hour long period. Though after the week waiting time to hear their opinions and get my "treatment" schedule, they simply told me I needed further intensive care then their facility could offer and referred me to two hospitals in my area.

I would have been fine with this if not for the restrictions of my medicaid, not allowing me to switch mental health providers without much paper work and time. After finally settling all of the papers, and still having disturbing complications, and no official diagnosis, the hospital (only one of the two was accepting new patients) began dismissing me when I called and not returned calls after messages and so on that I left.

Since then (around july of 2011) I have continued to go unmedicated and my medicaid has been mistakenly "turned off" due to mailing complications of some survey. Thus I would have to reapply to medicaid (a three month process) just to receive any form of help. This would seem worth it if not for the fact that I am moving to a new state in two months time.

Being a mom at 19, and living in a very populated, expensive, low employment rate location (not disclosed) I can simply not afford to pay for the mental health bills associated with hospitals or private care doctors, especially not ER costs. So here I am, in a seemingly "manic" state on and off for the passed few weeks, having a very hard time with sleep, and functioning properly (the only plus was my seasonal job at ToysRUs which really seemed to LOVE my mania.)

I desperately need advice on how to cope with this without medication or medical assistance at all for the time being. I am just so tired, and so sick of all of it. Its ruined so much already and I really want help but no one in this huge city seems to care to help me.

01/22/2012 07:14 AM
Tropical24
Tropical24  

First off, you're so strong for getting through this. You've really tried to get help, and nothing has worked out. I'm not really sure how to help, but I do have a couple suggestions. Can you call Medicaid and demand it be reinstated? After all, it was a mistake and shouldn't take 3 months to process reapply. I would also recommend going to the hospital in person. If they don't answer their calls, you need to be persistent and go in. Perhaps you can even explain your insurance information and they can offer suggestions. Bipolar unchecked is not good for any length of time, no matter how great mania can seem. You need to be well for you and your child. I truly hope it works out for you. Remember to be aggressive - this is important!

01/22/2012 07:18 AM
Denae

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to this post Tropical. I really appreciate the insight, perhaps I should have been more aggressive with the hospital but I am really paranoid they will lock me up or something in a psych ward if I push too hard, or end up charging me countless amounts of fees and I will end up in debt due to medical bills. As for medicaid I tried over and over to fight with them, this is the second time they just cut me for some weird excuse and made me reapply. Its ridiculous, thank goodness they kept my sons medicaid up until after we move, i just dont know how to pull through. Its only til we move then I can apply there but right now I just need something, anything to ease it and nothing will.

01/22/2012 07:26 AM
Tropical24
Tropical24  

I'm sorry Medicaid has been so unhelpful. I think going to the hospital and exploring your options is your best bet right now, even if it's scary. Let them know your whole situation and that this is your last hope. There has to be someone out there who can help you get the treatment you need. Do you have any family or friends around?

01/22/2012 07:28 AM
Denae

Just my mom but I wouldnt ask her of that not at all. Shes already helping me with rent, and trying to buy me a house so I can move with my son out of this city and raise him somewhere safe and nice.

01/22/2012 07:28 AM
ThunderDawg
ThunderDawg  

If the government won't cooperate, there has to be some resources available to you.

Maybe you could contact United Way and see what they might offer in the way of assistance. There are probably religious institutions that could help, if you choose that route. A lawyer can always help, but then there is always the little matter of the bill. The people helping me sometimes make it almost impossible, but I still try to find a way.

01/22/2012 07:42 AM
Denae

Thank you for those suggestions thunderdawg. Im not sure about relgious help or even know what united way is but I will look into that right now and see if thats a possibility.

01/22/2012 04:31 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Look into low cost/no cost clinics in your area. Ask your hospital where they are in your city. That would help you get through this difficult time at least. Something has to happen because it's horrible going through all of these emotions. People just don't understand and it's frustrating. I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble with Medicaid. Fighting with them is not making the bipolar any better. See what you can do with a clinic and go from there. I hope that you get some relief soon. We'll be here for you, so please keep us up to date on how you are dong.

01/23/2012 08:38 AM
Denae

Thank you joy, but the clinic I went to specifically said I needed more then an out patient clinic so Im not sure if that would even help. I dont want to go through telling them everything all over again for them to tell me they cant help me its just tiring me out more to think I have to answer all these hard questions about my life an emotions to hundreds of people just to get help...Now im just feeling really down about the whole thing..I will keep trying and keep you informed though thank you for your support

01/23/2012 09:27 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

This really sucks for you and you getting down isn't helping. I wish I could do something for you. Do keep trying. Something has to come up. In my opinion, we all need these medications to become and stay stable and they should be offered to us for free. We wouldn't have such a bad rep if people were medicated correctly and were able to get the medication. Just like birth control. I think that should be free. Maybe we wouldn't have so many unwanted pregnancies. Just my thoughts. These medications are so expensive it's ridiculous. The pharmaceutical companies are making bank while some of us suffer with not way to get the medications we need. I'm really sorry that you are going through this. I'm glad you will keep us up to date on how you are doing. Talking about this really helps get things off your chest and knowing that other people understand is a great thing.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved