MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2012 07:17 PM

Getting back to work

mrmp75

Hello all,

After almost a yr my wife is ready to go back to work. Should she disclose her BPD? How would she explain her gap in jobs? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance.

01/18/2012 07:47 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

That's a hard call to make. Most people do not tell their employers. I was diagnosed while at my job and I chose to tell them. They treat me like they always have. Other places may not be the same. Sometimes there is discrimination. People that don't have bipolar can sometimes see the bipolar person as crazy. It all depends on if you are comfortable revealing this. It's a big step though. Maybe she could say she has depression. That seems to be more acceptable these days than bipolar. I tell people that I have bipolar, but that's just me. I'm comfortable telling people and want to help prove that people with mental illnesses that take medications can live normal lives. I hope this helps in some way. If she doesn't feel like she would like to share it, then don't.

01/18/2012 08:06 PM
mrmp75

Joy,

Thank you so much for your words. I have also read she can just say it was due to illness and they can not ask what type it was. She is worried about the stigma and I cant blame her one bit. She is getting stronger each day but it takes its told as you may well know. Explaining the gap is her new stress factor now. Thanks again.

01/18/2012 08:28 PM
jennywren
jennywrenPosts: 3195

Hi MrMp75, My two cents worth. I think it is the cuture about a work place which will either accept or reject someone with a problem.

If in doubt do say anything.

Aside from the above if I were your wife I would not say a thing. This will also take some of the stress off her.

Wish her luck in her new job.

Jennywren

01/19/2012 06:27 AM
mrmp75

Thanks Jenny,

She still would have to come up with a credible reason for her gap in jobs. And a reason for being laid off, which was due to her BPD.

01/22/2012 08:39 PM
mrmp75

Thanks for all your advise. My wife starts a new job on Tuesday. Im very proud of her.

01/22/2012 08:42 PM
Linda27
Linda27Posts: 227

That is so great. Sometimes people just take time off of work to either persue school or for other personal reasons, if they ask she could just say she was taking care of a sick relative, it wouldn't be that far from the truth.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved