MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/03/2012 06:24 PM

constantly tearful for no reason

ngrdr
ngrdr  

Right now I'm probably in a mild mixed state but what happens is every day, now, half the day I'm either close to tears or I'm actively sobbing. And most of the time I have no idea why. Sometimes it has to do with past traumas but most of the time it's random. I teared up checking out books at the library today. This has never happened to me before and I don't feel depressed in a traditional way, mostly anxious more than anything, but I just have no idea what to do. I see my doctor next week but I have no idea what to even say to him, even though he listens and is very supportive.

I posted a while ago about sobbing outbursts but now it's like a full-time job. Has this happened to anyone, and besides medication is there anything I can do? It doesn't interfere with my life too much because it's mostly a few tears instead of sobbing but it worries me to be upset for no reason.

01/03/2012 09:01 PM
sarahtroy
sarahtroy  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I had something similar happen when I was experiencing grief that was out of my awareness. Once I became aware of the grief, there didn't seem to be any point in squelching it, so I just let the feeling and the tears come when they wanted to. Eventually, the grief subsided and the tears went away.

01/03/2012 10:21 PM
sparklehorse

Sarah addresses this nicely I think. I would add that when I am having my meds adjusted and working on certain things at the same time, say for me, resetting my emotional tempo, I can be tearful. I would suggest maybe telling your doctor something like you've written here. It sounds lucid and makes sense to me. I would think it would make sense to him.

Last week when I saw my own doc I told him that some nights I feel a little weepy, but not soaking my pillow and that it always resolved quickly. He thought and then said that there is a therapeutic value to be had in certain types of tears that medication, when it is working can allow and should allow at it's best. That includes tears for past griefs, present catharsis no matter how small or mundane, even those provoked by movies, books, or current events. I mention this because I found it interesting food for my own thought.

01/04/2012 03:16 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I had this problem before I was diagnosed, so I admitted myself to the hospital where I was diagnosed with bipolar. I was having depression and mixed states. Medications stopped it.

01/04/2012 04:06 AM
Deanna03
Deanna03  

I'm not sure if you know this but it is very common in bipolar patients for there meds to work for months and even years and then they just stop working! This has happened to me and my Dr had to readjust my meds take some out and add some so I agree with the others u should deft.be honest and let your Dr know what's going on!! U deserve to be happy and not just paint on a face of happiness!!

01/04/2012 05:58 AM
ngrdr
ngrdr  

Everybody, thanks. Sarahtroy and Sparklehorse I think you're right in that their might be some value into just having a release valve because in 2011 I finally came to terms with a lot of things in my life (my father's death, my dormant art career, the low likelihood I'll be able to move back to Los Angeles soon) but with a whirlwind of physical health stuff in my family I never spent any time processing any of that.

And Deanna03 you might be right but I hope not, because I've been on everything else besides Geodon (really) and have had bad side effects from every medicine I've been put on, ranging from the minor, like irritability and violent flashes of imagination, to the damaging (elevated liver-functions and obesity, now no longer an issue) to life-threatening (Stevens-Johnson Syndrome) so I'm reluctant to try anything different for a second time. I can't take traditional mood stabilizers at all because of the severe joint pain I get prevents me from being able to walk. I probably need to wait until something new gets developed, like I need to wait for new anti-anxiety medication that works to get developed. Smile

Anyway, that's a lot but thank you everyone for your help. It's good just to know that this isn't something new to everyone, though of course I wouldn't wish it or any health problem on anyone.

01/05/2012 07:12 AM
ngrdr
ngrdr  

Everything went wrong yesterday. Not to complain so much but before I left for the gym in the morning, the one hour I'd be gone, I was worried about my mother because she was still sleeping and so I went and checked on her but decided not to wake her up. She had probably what was (another) mini-stroke and woke up and had to crawl to the phone to dial 911 and go to the ER. When I found out where she was she was already okay and they let her go after a few hours because there was nothing they could do but the whole day I reached this level of upset where I couldn't cry. I felt like someone had thrown acid all over me.

I still feel terrible for not trusting my instinct and being able to help my mom. Finally last night I burst into tears and today I'm trying to be okay and not hover over my mom and make myself leave the house because I have errands but I'm just so fried that I'm not even sure how I feel; not depressed or hopeless, not manic and paranoid, anxious but not in the usual way, just shocked. I don't know what to do because it's hard to get over yesterday and I feel just shocked and frozen. Not in any danger, just dazed, upset, confused.

Sorry for typing all this out but I just needed to share it and didn't want to start a new discussion thread over things. I would have posted last night but I felt physically sick from being upset and because of anxiety-related stomach problems.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved