MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/27/2011 06:00 AM

tough night

mem7478

all day yesterday i thought about making my new Years resolution: trying harder not to be so cranky with my loved ones and people outside my home, like customer person people. I get really stress having to wait in line. I even get bothered by people being nice, saying "hi" when i walk into a store bank. I can be a cranky puss a lot. anyhow i want to try harder. but last night i really got upset. My Daughter can be disrespectful to me often. Not listening to me, arguing with me, putting me down, not asking permission about things. and she is only 10-people say it is only gonna be worse. I am scared, i was a tough kid. i hope she is not like i was. i guess it is payback. i love her so much. she has been sick lately. the flu last wk and now coughing alot-she has asthma. all i do is worry about her. i just don't know how to deal with the misbehaving at times. she can be real good too. idk. i was also mad at Bf for not helping me or backing me up. i want to be happy and try harder-but i cann't help but be triggered. I actually went in my room to be alone. i never do that. i wish i could cry and get it out sometimes.

12/27/2011 09:07 AM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry you had such a bad night with your daughter. I remember being a difficult child. I think I pushed my mother to the brink on many occasions. Kids go through stages and the comment that it's only going to get worse isn't very helpful. An 11-year-old acts differently than a 10-year-old. Yes, the teen years can be challenging, I know, been there. You might want to have a talk with your boyfriend about presenting a united front because the two of you MUST be on the same page when it comes to dealing with your daughter and you really need him to back you up, so talk with him about it. As far as her behavior, I know losing privileges as a result of my bad behavior bugged me a lot. Also, if it's extreme, perhaps counseling might be in order. I hope today is better for you.

12/27/2011 10:02 AM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My son is eleven and sometimes he back talks me and ocassionally says something hurtful. I consistently call him on it and tell him it was unacceptable and why. Set some limits, tell her ahead of time what they are and that there will.be consequences for breaking them. Consequences include loss of contact with friends, video games, tv, radio, telephone and special ocassions.

Sometimes I tell my son what the conse1uence will be for breaking a rule. Sometimes I do not, so he can't weigh the misdeed with the consequence and decide it's worth it. My bf tells me I am not strict enough, but my son is not hard headed and generally doesn't need harsh punishments to change behaviors.

12/27/2011 12:18 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

How frustrating for you. My niece does that to my sister and it's hard to watch the disrespect that she shows her. Grounding is good, Take away the things that mean a lot to her like Yorkie said. Explain to her that it's not acceptable to treat you the way she is. I fear that it will get worse with time if she doesn't respect you. I'm so sorry. I used to get really irritable too and with the anti-psychotic, it pretty much went away. It's a bad feeling to have. You had a hell of a night, so today relax. Talk to your boyfriend and explain your feelings. Communication is so important in any relationship. I hope you feel better today!!

12/27/2011 03:04 PM
mem7478

thanks to all for you support and suggestions. Now i just have to take them and do something.

12/27/2011 03:09 PM
Lonelywi
Lonelywi  

Am I being under treated...hospitalized once a year ago...only on Lithium, Ambien for sleep and Klonopin as needed...I just don't feel like it's working??

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved