MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/23/2011 10:28 AM

Day programs instead of hospital stays... really

manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

My pdoc wants me in a day program, because we have been working together for a year and have only accomplished 4 weeks of stability. She thinks I need more services, (her and my tdoc meet weekly regarding there shared patience) and my tdoc feels we can see each other everyother week. I have mad coping skills for dealing with my bipolar, been in therapy for 13 years with a couple off in between. I have been on every other week with the tdoc for maybe a month and 1/2, my first time ever not going weekly. I have been with my tdoc for about a year.

I guess the reason for the post is to find out what a day program consists of, there is no info in this regard on the website where we are thinking of going. There is another an hour away that she likes and its 3 hours 5 days a week, its just to far.

Have you found the day program to be helpful? I was in the hospital for a week (depression, needed to stay safe) once I got out I made several attempts at taking my life. So I am thinking that was not very benificial to me.

I guess I know I am sick still (I refuse to go to the hospital again, just seeems silly for me) I just didnt know I was that sick, that I need a day program.

I think I liked it better when I didnt know I was sick/bipolar and it was just me, who I was and I just dealt with it. Now its like oh no, I am sick again Am going to loose anyone or anything this time.

I am sad about this day program.... in the hospital during groups I would take over and would become the mother of the group. I dealt with their problems (obsessively) instead of my own. I guess this how I deal with all friends and aquantinces, everyone elses problems become my own and I obsses on them. I throw my self to the hillside.

if you could please share your experiences, and opinions of the day program you attended that would be really wonderful for me.

thanx

deb

12/23/2011 12:24 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

For me, it was a chance to see a pdoc every week. It also kept me.from being alone in the house and lost in my head. They review CBT topics like the different types of negative thinking. I found that to be really useful. I also enjoyed meeting the other patients. I really felt like I.fit in.

12/23/2011 01:43 PM
manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

I already see my pdoc every other week. I do need to get out of the house and fit in some where. I am working on the judgemental thinking, of course my biggest judgments are of me and not other people.

thanx for your help.

12/23/2011 03:47 PM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I have been in and out of hospital in patient and out patient many times since 05. Mine was cbt therapy where they teach self awareness and some cognitive coping skills. You get to interact with your peers. And it really is hard work learning everything. I enjoyed it, but it didn't take away the real life problems. Some of the problems you have to walk away from or face, but it was working for awhile for me.

12/23/2011 04:24 PM
Wyndrake
Wyndrake  

I have been in the day treatment at the hospital 3 times, usually after a hospitalization. There were around a dozen people in the group, and there was a small staff of doctors and therapists. We'd have group therapy sessions and had breakfast and lunch served while there. Prescriptions were given, and information about my diagnoses. I liked it, I felt like I fit in, which isn't something I feel too often.

12/24/2011 02:15 PM
manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

Thanks for all the responses, it is helpful. I have social anxiety when my meds arent working, and am a bit terrified.

I assume all those in the group have different diagnosis, I am I right?

I just havent been taking the best care of myself lately. This just might be the best or the worst thing for me.

12/24/2011 07:56 PM
hoppipolla
hoppipolla  

Manic, it's just structure and treatment. Think of activities/groups in a hospital without the overnight stay. It gives you time to be around others with similar disorders. It can give you empathy. I hope it can be a good experience to you if you're open to it. Take the time to focus on yourself as opposed to others in the group. It'll help immensely. It'll suck, but it'll help.

12/25/2011 08:51 AM
manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

thank you hoppipolla, that is great advice. I will struggle to focus on myself. I told my pdoc about how I will mother the group, she said thats great they need you. I love her so but she sure does confuse me at times.

12/26/2011 12:25 PM
manicmetoo
manicmetoo  

anyone else have anything to say about the Day Programs?

12/26/2011 01:22 PM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
Group Leader

I attended 2 types of day programs. One was CBT therapy with men and women. The other was DBT therapy with just women. I attended full day programs (I think from 9is to 3:30 pm) and later intensive outpatient half day programs (9ish to 1:30 pm).

At the coedSmile CBT day program there were at least 2 hours of process groups. The rest were coping skills programs and other programs (art therapy, dealing with anxiety, anger management, meditation, dealing with loss, nutrition, medication education, etc.). Coping skills class subjects changed daily.

At the DBT women's only program at least 2 hours were dedicated to learning DBT skills and going over the skills you used the day before. The rest were coping skills and other classes similar to the one's at the coed program. Lunch was at the cafeteria at the hospital for this program. The coed program was usually just a lousy sandwich. This might sound funny, but when you take Depakote food is very important. At least to me.

I started both programs 5 days per week, but then it went down to 3 days per week, and then 4 hours per day instead of 6, etc. I saw the pdoc twice per week in every day program. Once per week in the 3 days per week program. In addition to the process groups with the therapist, they also had me see a one-on-one therapist once per week when I was very bad off.

I was lucky that both day programs were within walking distance of my house. One of the 2 hospitals I went to was also within walking distance. When I was a little better I would walk there and home. When I was in the hospital I would fantasize about escaping during the smoker,s break (I don't smoke) and go home to be with my husband. They would have found out though because they do a head check.

Anyway, your experience might be different than both of mine. I guess it varies a bit from place to place. I do hope that if you decide to attend a day program that it really helps you (med changes/adjustments and therapy). Good luck!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved