MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/18/2011 05:35 PM

husband and 16 year old son both bipolar

marielynn

My husband left us and wants a divorce but then comes here and says how depressed he has that he has to give me money, etc.

Today him and I were just trying to talk about everything going on and

Christmas etc., but my son just gets so mad, upset angry, etc.

They are both taking 20 mg Abilify. My husband still seems depressed and I think my son it too. He is having an extremely hard time dealing with my

husband leaving etc. My son is extremely hard to live with.

He has so much anger and rage. He says I don't know how to get rid of it. I know he just wants to use marijuana to self medicate himself. He is asking to go to the psychiatrist but I can't get him in until after Christmas.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my son needs? I really think he

needs an additional prescription something to calm him down, mellow him out etc. I think if I could get my son to calm down my husband would actually stay with us and help me with my son and stay in the spare bedroom.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

12/19/2011 08:59 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello. I used to have a lot of anger, and the anti-psychotic fixed that. It was Geodon at the time, but I now take Abilify. Maybe he needs his Abilify upped. I would call the psychiatrist and ask what can be done because it's out of hand. A lot of people with bipolar take numerous medications to control it, not just one. Some are able to take just one, but most don't. I take an anti-psychotic, antidepressant, and mood stabilizer for my main medications to treat the bipolar. I feel bad for your son because he doesn't know how to control it. He and your husband have a chemical imbalance and need chemicals (medicactions) to balance their brains out. I'm really sorry you are going through this. My advice though is to call their psychiatrists and ask what to do. Maybe they can do something for both of them over the phone. Since your husband is so depressed, he probably needs an antidepressant. I think both need a mood stabilizer. I'm not a doctor though, so I may be wrong. Just my opinion. I hope this gets under control. We'll be here to support you, so keep posting. Welcome to the group!!

12/19/2011 05:22 PM
marielynn

Is the abilify an antipsychotic? My son is taking 20 mg of abilify and so is my husband. My son says I have so much anger and rage. I don't see that in my husband. We can't get into the psychiatrist til after Christmas but we do have an appointment with a person who works on the team with the psychiatrist and she said she would talk to the doctor before we come in. I am going to really pressure to put my son on something in additional to calm his nerves, etc. Thanks for your help. It is just so hard watching the two of the. I told them I wouldn't wish bipolar on my worst enemy. I continually study bipolar daily because it helps me maintain my life and understand it more.

12/19/2011 05:52 PM
pheonixanime
pheonixanime  

I'm so sorry this is happening to you Marielynn, its especially hard around the holidays. please make sure that your not only taking care of them but that you are taking care of yourself as well. how old is your son if I may ask? he sounds like a teenager. I think maybe family therapy might be in order it might be very insightful for you all.

12/19/2011 05:59 PM
uppitywoman
uppitywoman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I had trouble with anger and my psychiatrist put me on Trileptal for a while. It seemed to help me. I agree with Joy that upping the Abilify might help your son, too, and that an antidepressant might help your husband, but neither of us are psychiatrists. That's just an opinion. I am sorry you are facing this situation. Living with bipolar isn't easy on either side, but have hope, because with the right medications and dosages, they both can get stabilized all of you will feel better.

12/19/2011 06:59 PM
marielynn

My son is only 16. I am trying to take care of myself too. I took a vacation day tomorrow, just asked my daughter to go to our local beauty college and get Christmas manicures. I so feel for my son and husband. It is hard when a 16 year old is asking to go to the pdoc because he knows he isn't right. SAD

12/19/2011 08:27 PM
pheonixanime
pheonixanime  

im happy your doing something special with your daughter to decompress. 16 is a hard age from what I recall, oh god that was 13 years ago.............i feel SO old Sad lol anyway, hard age but he WILL get through it I promise. im trying to think of any advice I can impart to you to give you some piece of mind or to help you but im coming up short Sad <<<<hugs>>>>

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved