MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/07/2011 04:51 PM

Shhh!!! Bipolar makes people scared of you!!!

moodygrl83
moodygrl83  

Angry

UGH. It really pisses me off that people act like I'm crazy when I open up on my own and tell them I'm Bipolar. So sick of the silence, being ignored, the cold shoulder, or being told "I can't be friends with someone who has issues" AND the one where you are talking to a friend and tell them and they never contact you again and usually tell EVERYONE they can think of! Eff this, I mean seriously people....this is a vent post BECAUSE everyone has some type of issue whether they choose to talk/admit it or not. The difference is people who can admit actually have guts and a heart. Now the "so-called" friends who blow them off after they find this out are NOT worth dirt!

Thanks for letting me vent!

12/07/2011 05:25 PM
sumanic
sumanic  

Hey there Moodygirl, Eff those kind of people. I am going through that at work right now. People I used to hang out with and have fun with have started acting so damn stupid and messing with me. I think people are all together plain stupid. I hate being referred to as crazy. People that are so called "normal" can be completed idiots, like you said we all have issues. I feel for you and continue to vent!

12/07/2011 05:33 PM
YorkieLove
YorkieLove  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have even received ignorant comments from psychology professors. I don't tell classmates or acquaintances. Why open myself up to pain when I don't need to?

12/07/2011 06:19 PM
moodygrl83
moodygrl83  

I've been open about it for a while now. Sometimes it really gets to me..like when insane bad gma said "Bipolar is when you don't talk for weeks, and you don't do that"-but seriously don't call me "crazy"-one girl said I was dx with "crazy" haha-she was dx was MR. I've told my therapist that somedays I have what I call a Bipolar Bitchzilla day, LOL. Its like some people think because BP's have BP they are just plain insane, and have no feelings. LOL-if they want to think that then they have no feelings. I believe that BP came to me for a reason-to help other people understand (which is hard since most people don't listen)...

S

12/08/2011 09:02 AM
sumanic
sumanic  

I tried to be open about it and I have a close friend that says your not BP that is just those doc trying to make money. You were fine when you were smoking bud and drinking you should just do that again. My mom has decided that it is now ok to say " I knew you were off" that was so offensive I thought so all of those years growing up you didn't think to get me any help? I believe that people with BP are intelligent and can be creative. Sometimes I can accomplish so many things at one time (usually when manic), I even was able to graduate from College, raise my son(as a single mother), and earn my brown belt, land a good paying job all while manic and at the same time. So everyone who calls me crazy needs to look at themselves. There are so many creative BP people society needs to see this in a different light, I wish there was better awareness about BP.

12/08/2011 09:14 AM
Eric17
Eric17  

I've had BP for many years and, outside of my family, maybe a handful of people know of my struggle. Burned a few times and years of hearing/seeing others with disabilities deal with being shunned taught me to keep my mouth shut. I am not strong enough to 'be open' and deal with the hurt. Too sensitive I guess and besides, my personal medical information is no-ones business anyway. I do stick up for others when I see them being treated poorly and work to educate people but don't let on that I am ill...

Eric

12/08/2011 10:25 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

It's a hard call - on telling or not to tell. Just remember it wasn't that long ago that gay people were not able to come out of the closet - people who are against homosexuals thought you could contract it through association.

Hopeful that the stigma starts to decrease eventually - until then, I guess we have to be guarded with who we share this info with. Sad.

12/08/2011 10:33 AM
fobs12

that's when you need to tell the person, ""no I said Bipolar not "issues". They are the one with having a friend who is different. I have this problem pretty frequently. The way I get over it is through rationalizing that I don't want a bigoted friend anyway.

12/08/2011 11:20 AM
er44

Before I was dx as being bipolar I abused alcohol and drugs and believe it or not I was functioning much better than I am now that I am clean and sober. My mother has said to me a few times,"do you ever wish you had kept using bc you seemed much better than you are now"? Sometimes I think she is right. I'm not totally offended at her comments bc its true, I was functioning better when self medicating and not seeing a pdoc. I dont know why that is but since I stopped using- started therapy and started psych drugs, I seem to be worse. Like I said, I dont know why I would get worse. I have told some friends and I have been shunned by several of them. The people that I am still friends with seem to just tolerate me now-like their tired of dealing with my mood swings and me having this disease. I wish I never told anyone about it. Its been so hard. I have few friends now and I feel shame for having this disease. I know its not my fault but I feel like a weak person bc I'm not really doing well. I dont know what to think. I made the mistake of sharing in an AA meeting that I am bipolar and now I am too embarrassed to go back to those meetings even though I know many people in those meetings probably are bipolar too. Many people who are bipolar self medicate with alcohol and drugs. I did at least. I am so self conscious now that I am 'out of the closet', so to speak. The only time I am happy and am high functioning is when I am hypo manic but the psych meds pretty much keep me from getting hypo manic very often. I used to be non compliant with my meds and my hypo mania turned into mania within a few days to a week so I realized it wasnt really worth it. My meds. keep me in a low grade depression most of the time. There isnt any midddle ground. I feel like everyone is just sick of me and my illness and they really dont understand at all. Ive told them to read up on it-but they havent. My husband doesnt get it at all. He thinks I should just snap out of it-I wish I could. No one seems to understand how debilitating this disease can be. Sometimes Im still in shock that Im bipolar. I was in denial about it for so many years. I dont know, I have tried to educate people about it but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

12/08/2011 07:09 PM
moodygrl83
moodygrl83  

I just think that ALL people should be treated equally! My mom is my SUPPORTER! Her and I are actually going to write a book together about what it was like with me growing up and being an Asperger (autism spectrum) and then finding out I have Bipolar. It really pisses me off how people act toward other people, the silent looks and muffled whispers. My therapist and BP med doc said I have stabilized quickly-I found out I had "a typical" BP at 27 yrs old in May of 2010 then somewhere in between May-June my BP was dx as type 1, but dammit I am proud of myself for handling everything I have and the biggest compliment I have received is that "Your reliziant, you bounce back from all the bad things that happen-most people can't do that as easily"-my mom. More family gma drama. Lovely effin day I had. My 26 yr old slutty cousin and bad gma set me up-they put gma's cell on speaker everytime I call so slutty cousin can hear what I say. Well slutty cousin told me I have to follow her rules or she will change bad gma's number-WTF!?! I'm over it-I'm not calling them OR answering their calls. UUUUUGGGGHHH holiday season is a crazy time for me.

S

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved